Issued 03:00 AM NDT 21 March 2018
Today Tonight and Thursday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southwest 25 knots with gusts to 35 along the coast. Wind diminishing to west 20 this morning and to variable 10 to 15 this afternoon. Wind increasing to northeast 25 this evening and to northeast 35 near noon Thursday. Wind veering to east 35 to 45 Thursday afternoon.
Flurries ending this morning. Flurries overnight and Thursday morning. Rain or snow beginning Thursday afternoon. Visibility 1 mile or less in precipitation.
Temperatures near zero.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 20 March 2018 Today Tonight and Wednesday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Nova Scotia near 4520N 6100W to 4510N 6005W
to 4530N 5810W to 4650N 5725W to Newfoundland near 4730N 5610W. Sea
ice north of the ice edge.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EDT 20 March 2018
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 20 Mar estimated from Newfoundland near
4653N 5409W to 4530N 5330W to 4500N 4745W to 4515N 4530W to 4800N
4600W to 5300N 4930W to 5600N 5200W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 20 Mar estimated from Quebec near
5109N 5840W to Newfoundland near 5029N 5724W.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
Southwest CoastIssued 03:00 AM NDT 21 March 2018
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 3:00 AM NDT 21 March 2018 Today Tonight and Thursday At 3:00 a.m. NDT today trough located southwest of Nova Scotia.
By 3:00 a.m. NDT Thursday trough located over the southern Grand
At 3:00 a.m. NDT today low 997 mb located over Belle Isle Bank.
By 10:00 a.m. NDT today departing low 1001 mb located east of
Belle Isle Bank.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 2:49 AM NDT 21 March 2018 A trough will approach the marine district from the southwest today.
Strong to gale force southeast to northeasterlies will develop over
southern waters ahead of this feature. Strong to gale force south to
southwesterlies with develop in its wake.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for
Gulf - Port au Port, Southwest Coast, South Coast, East Coast - Cape
St. Francis and south, and the Grand Banks.
Atlantic - Maritimes Area
- Anticosti - northwestern half
- Anticosti - southeastern half
- Banquereau - northern half
- Banquereau - southern half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Browns Bank
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Scotian Slope
- Georges Bank
- Grand Manan
- Gulf - Magdalen - northeastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Halifax Harbour and Approaches
- LaHave Bank
- Laurentian Fan
- L'Isle-aux-Coudres to Tadoussac
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Pointe à Michel to Pointe-des-Monts
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - northern half
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - southern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks - northern half
- Southwestern Grand Banks - northern half
- Southwestern Grand Banks - southern half
- Southwestern Shore
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- Tadoussac to Pointe à Michel
- West Scotian Slope
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: