Issued 03:00 AM NDT 23 March 2023
Today Tonight and Friday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northwest 25 knots diminishing to northwest 15 to 20 this morning and to variable 10 to 15 this afternoon. Wind increasing to southeast 25 near midnight and to southeast 45 overnight. Wind backing to northeast 35 to 45 Friday afternoon.
Flurries ending this morning. Snow Friday. Visibility 1 mile or less in precipitation.
Temperatures near minus 1.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 22 March 2023 Today Tonight and Thursday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Nova Scotia near 4557N 5947W to 4620N 5930W
to 4845N 6230W to 4946N 5849W to 4730N 5940W to Newfoundland near
4711N 5528W. Sea ice west then northeast of the ice edge.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 2:30 PM EDT 22 March 2023
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 23 Mar estimated from Newfoundland near
4655N 5555W to 4600N 5525W to 4500N 5000W to 4455N 4500W to 4730N
4430W to 5835N 5540W to 6005N 5015W to 5850N 4755W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 23 Mar estimated from Quebec near
5020N 6050W to Newfoundland near 4917N 5810W.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs except less than 10 icebergs northeast of the
Warnings (In effect)
Gale warning in effect
Southwest CoastIssued 03:00 AM NDT 23 March 2023
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 3:00 AM NDT 23 March 2023 Today Tonight and Friday At 3:00 a.m. NDT today trough located east of the Avalon Peninsula.
By 3:30 p.m. NDT today departing trough located over the northern
At 3:00 a.m. NDT today ridge located on a line northwest-southeast
over the Maritimes.
By 3:00 a.m. NDT Friday ridge located on a line northwest-southeast
over the southeastern Grand Banks.
At 3:30 p.m. NDT today approaching low 1002 mb located over
Marine Weather StatementIssued 2:49 AM NDT 23 March 2023 A low pressure system approaching from the west will eventually lie
over the Grand Banks by Friday night. Gale to storm force southeast
to northeasterly winds will develop on Friday ahead of the low before
shifting to strong to gale force westerly winds in its wake.
Marine interests are advised that storm warnings are in effect for
the Southern Grand Banks. Gale warnings are in effect for Southwest
Coast, South Coast, East Coast and Northern Grand Banks.
Atlantic - Maritimes Area
- Anticosti - eastern half
- Anticosti - western half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Browns Bank
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou
- Eastern Shore - eastern half
- Eastern Shore - western half
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Scotian Slope - northeastern half
- East Scotian Slope - southwestern half
- Georges Bank - northern half
- Georges Bank - southern half
- Grand Manan
- Gulf - Magdalen - eastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - western half
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Halifax Harbour and Approaches
- LaHave Bank
- Laurentian Fan - northeastern half
- Laurentian Fan - southwestern half
- L'Isle-aux-Coudres to Tadoussac
- Northumberland Strait
- Pointe à Michel to Pointe-des-Monts
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - northern half
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - southern half
- Sable - eastern half
- Sable - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Shore
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- Tadoussac to Pointe à Michel
- West Scotian Slope - northern half
- West Scotian Slope - southern half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: