Issued 03:00 AM NDT 09 May 2021
Today Tonight and Monday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southeast 30 knots diminishing to south 15 to 20 early this morning then increasing to south 25 late this morning. Wind veering to southwest 30 this afternoon then increasing to west 35 overnight. Wind diminishing to west 25 Monday evening.
Showers ending Monday morning. Fog banks dissipating near noon.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 8 May 2021 Today Tonight and Sunday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Labrador near 5320N 5549W to 5336N 5519W to
5456N 5709W to 5536N 5504W to 5801N 6014W then northward. Sea ice
west of the ice edge.
Forecasts available to mariners upon request.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 2:30 PM EDT 8 May 2021
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 9 May estimated from Newfoundland near
4929N 5510W to 5225N 4940W to 5500N 5020W to 5525N 5040W then
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 9 May estimated from Quebec near
5038N 5927W to Newfoundland near 5004N 5738W.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
South CoastIssued 03:00 AM NDT 09 May 2021
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 3:00 AM NDT 9 May 2021 Today Tonight and Monday At 3:00 a.m. NDT today low 985 mb located over Cape Breton Island.
By 3:00 a.m. NDT Monday low 992 mb located over the Northeast
Coast of Newfoundland.
At 3:00 a.m. NDT today trough from low located on a line east-west
over the South Coast of Newfoundland.
By 3:00 a.m. NDT Monday trough from low located on a line east-west
over Belle Isle Bank.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 2:40 AM NDT 9 May 2021 An intense low pressure system and an associated trough over Cape
Breton Island will move to lie over Newfoundland today and over Funk
Island Bank on Monday. Strong to gale force east to northeasterly
winds will develop over northern waters ahead of the trough, while
strong to gale force west to southwesterlies will spread across
southern waters south of the low.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for all
waters except East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis and the Southern
Atlantic - Maritimes Area
- Anticosti - eastern half
- Anticosti - western half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Browns Bank
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore - eastern half
- Eastern Shore - western half
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Scotian Slope - northern half
- East Scotian Slope - southern half
- Georges Bank - northern half
- Georges Bank - southern half
- Grand Manan
- Gulf - Magdalen - eastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - western half
- Gulf - Port au Port - northwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - southeastern half
- Halifax Harbour and Approaches
- LaHave Bank
- Laurentian Fan
- L'Isle-aux-Coudres to Tadoussac
- Northumberland Strait
- Pointe à Michel to Pointe-des-Monts
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - northern half
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - southern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Shore
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- Tadoussac to Pointe à Michel
- West Scotian Slope - northern half
- West Scotian Slope - southern half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: