Issued 10:00 AM NDT 21 March 2018
Today Tonight and Thursday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind west 20 knots diminishing to variable 10 to 15 this afternoon then increasing to northeast 25 this evening. Wind increasing to northeast 35 near noon Thursday then veering to east 35 to 45 Thursday afternoon.
Flurries overnight and Thursday morning. Rain or snow beginning Thursday afternoon. Visibility 1 mile or less in precipitation.
Temperatures near zero.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 21 March 2018 Today Tonight and Thursday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4715N 5245W to 4910N 5005W
to 5530N 5210W to 5635N 5510W to 5800N 5830W then northward. Sea ice
north and west of the ice edge.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EDT 20 March 2018
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 20 Mar estimated from Newfoundland near
4653N 5409W to 4530N 5330W to 4500N 4745W to 4515N 4530W to 4800N
4600W to 5300N 4930W to 5600N 5200W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 20 Mar estimated from Quebec near
5109N 5840W to Newfoundland near 5029N 5724W.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs except less than 10 icebergs north of the
Warnings (In effect)
South CoastIssued 10:00 AM NDT 21 March 2018
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 10:00 AM NDT 21 March 2018 Today Tonight and Thursday At 10:00 a.m. NDT today trough located southwest of Nova Scotia.
By 3:00 a.m. NDT Thursday trough located on a line east-west over
the southern Grand Banks.
At 10:00 a.m. NDT today departing low 1001 mb located northeast
of Belle Isle Bank.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:44 AM NDT 21 March 2018 A trough will approach the marine district from the southwest today,
and move over the Southern Grand Banks tonight. Strong to gale force
southeasterlies to northeasterlies will develop over southern waters
ahead of this feature. Strong to gale force south to southwesterlies
with develop in its wake.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for
Gulf - Port au Port, Southwest Coast, South Coast, East Coast - Cape
St. Francis and south, and the Grand Banks.
Atlantic - Maritimes Area
- Anticosti - northwestern half
- Anticosti - southeastern half
- Banquereau - northern half
- Banquereau - southern half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Browns Bank
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Scotian Slope
- Georges Bank
- Grand Manan
- Gulf - Magdalen - northeastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Halifax Harbour and Approaches
- LaHave Bank
- Laurentian Fan
- L'Isle-aux-Coudres to Tadoussac
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Pointe à Michel to Pointe-des-Monts
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - northern half
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - southern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks - northern half
- Southwestern Grand Banks - northern half
- Southwestern Grand Banks - southern half
- Southwestern Shore
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- Tadoussac to Pointe à Michel
- West Scotian Slope
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: