Laurentian Fan - southern half
Issued 03:00 AM AST 22 January 2022
Today Tonight and Sunday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind north 25 knots veering to easterly 25 this morning then increasing to easterly 35 early this evening. Wind backing to northerly 40 near midnight then diminishing to northwesterly 20 to 25 Sunday morning. Wind diminishing to northwest 15 Sunday afternoon and to light Sunday evening.
Rain beginning this afternoon becoming snow or rain this evening and ending Sunday morning. Visibility 1 mile or less in precipitation.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 21 January 2022 Today Tonight and Saturday
Ice EdgeFirst ice edge estimated from Cape Breton near 4653N 6020W to 4705N
6015W to 4755N 6125W to 4700N 6330W to 4830N 6315W to 4845N 6130W to
5000N 5830W to 4730N 6000W to Newfoundland near 4728N 5608W. Sea ice
south then west then northeast of the ice edge.
Second ice edge estimated from New Brunswick near 4525N 6524W to
Nova Scotia near 4504N 6501W. Sea ice northeast of the ice edge.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 1:45 PM EST 21 January 2022
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 21 Jan estimated from the Labrador coast
near 5210N 5550W to 5115N 5140W to 5230N 4905W to 5425N 5115W to
5600N 5500W to 5920N 5655W to 6035N 5210W then eastwards.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
Laurentian Fan - southern halfIssued 03:00 AM AST 22 January 2022
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 3:00 AM AST 22 January 2022 Today Tonight and Sunday At 3:00 a.m. AST today building ridge located over Maine.
By 8:00 p.m. AST tonight ridge located over Newfoundland.
At 10:00 a.m. AST today intensifying low 1008 mb located southwest
of the Marine District.
By 10:00 a.m. AST Sunday low 985 mb located over the Grand Banks.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 2:52 AM AST 22 January 2022 A deepening low will track south of the marine district today and
east of Laurentian Fan early Sunday morning. Strong to gale force
easterlies will develop this afternoon over southeastern waters.
Gale force northerlies are expected behind the low over Laurentian
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for
East Scotian Slope - southern half, Banquereau - southeastern half,
and Laurentian Fan.
A freezing spray warning is in effect for Anticosti - northwestern
Atlantic - Maritimes Area
- Anticosti - northwestern half
- Anticosti - southeastern half
- Banquereau - northwestern half
- Banquereau - southeastern half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Browns Bank
- Cabot Strait
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore - eastern half
- Eastern Shore - western half
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Scotian Slope - northern half
- East Scotian Slope - southern half
- Georges Bank - northern half
- Georges Bank - southern half
- Grand Manan
- Gulf - Magdalen
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Halifax Harbour and Approaches
- LaHave Bank
- Laurentian Fan - northern half
- Laurentian Fan - southern half
- L'Isle-aux-Coudres to Tadoussac
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Pointe à Michel to Pointe-des-Monts
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - northern half
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - southern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Shore
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- Tadoussac to Pointe à Michel
- West Scotian Slope - northern half
- West Scotian Slope - southern half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
Hello Weather: our upgraded telephone weather service is here. 1-833-794-3556 or 1-833-79HELLO.
- Date modified: