Issued 03:00 AM AST 09 February 2023
Today Tonight and Friday.
Wind northwest 20 knots diminishing to northwest 15 early this morning and to light this afternoon. Wind increasing to southeast 20 overnight and to southwest 30 Friday afternoon.
Snow beginning near midnight changing to rain and fog patches Friday morning and ending Friday afternoon. Visibility 1 mile or less in snow and in fog patches.
Temperatures plus 1 rising to plus 8 Friday afternoon.
Strong wind warning program has ended for the season.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 8 February 2023 Today Tonight and Thursday
Ice EdgeFirst ice edge estimated from New Brunswick near 4529N 6511W to
4515N 6500W to Nova Scotia near 4515N 6427W. Sea ice northeast of
the ice edge.
Second ice edge estimated from Nova Scotia near 4519N 6058W to 4540N
5837W to 4755N 6124W to 4725N 6236W to 4849N 6316W to 4844N 6057W to
4934N 6117W to 4953N 5854W to 4721N 5958W to Newfoundland near 4729N
5610W. Sea ice west then northeast of the ice edge.
Open water except 5 tenths new ice along parts of the coast in the
No watches or warnings in effect.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 3:00 AM AST 9 February 2023 Today Tonight and Friday At 3:00 a.m. AST today trough located over Banquereau.
By 3:30 p.m. AST today departing trough located east of the
At 3:00 a.m. AST Friday low 996 mb located over southern Quebec.
By 3:30 p.m. AST Friday low 997 mb located over southeastern
At 10:00 a.m. AST today ridge located over Maine.
By 3:00 a.m. AST Friday ridge located on a line north-south over
the eastern Marine District.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 2:42 AM AST 9 February 2023 A trough over Banquereau will continue to move eastward. Strong to
gale force northwesterlies behind the trough will diminish today as a
ridge approaches from the west.
A low pressure system will approach the marine district from the west
Friday morning and cross the Gulf waters throughout the day Friday.
Strong to gale force winds are expected for most waters with this
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for all
waters except Fundy, Northumberland Strait - western half, Chaleur -
Miscou, and Anticosti.
Freezing spray warnings are in effect for eastern shore, Fourchu,
Cabot Strait, Northumberland Strait, Gulf - Magdalen, Chaleur -
Miscou, and Anticosti.
Atlantic - Maritimes Area
- Anticosti - northeastern half
- Anticosti - southwestern half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Browns Bank
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore - eastern half
- Eastern Shore - western half
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Scotian Slope
- Georges Bank
- Grand Manan
- Gulf - Magdalen - northeastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Halifax Harbour and Approaches
- LaHave Bank
- Laurentian Fan
- L'Isle-aux-Coudres to Tadoussac
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Pointe à Michel to Pointe-des-Monts
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - northern half
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - southern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Shore
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- Tadoussac to Pointe à Michel
- West Scotian Slope
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: