Strait of Belle Isle - western half
Issued 03:00 AM NST 21 January 2020
Today Tonight and Wednesday.
Wind light increasing to west 15 knots this morning then backing to southwest 20 this afternoon. Wind diminishing to southwest 10 to 15 after midnight then becoming light near noon Wednesday.
Flurries Wednesday late in the day.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Over open water freezing spray late this afternoon and this evening.
Temperatures minus 20 to minus 15 rising to minus 12 to minus 5 Wednesday afternoon.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 20 January 2020 Today Tonight and Tuesday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4835N 5300W to 4920N 5210W
to 5025N 5535W to 5155N 5330W to 5520N 5435W to 5655N 5700W to 5800N
5730W then northeastward. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
8 tenths new ice except 9 plus tenths grey ice in the western
section along the Quebec coast.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 20 January 2020
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 21 Jan estimated from the Labrador coast
near 5223N 5538W to 5330N 5400W to 5700N 5600W then eastwards.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs except less than 10 icebergs north of the
Warnings (In effect)
Strait of Belle IsleIssued 03:00 AM NST 21 January 2020
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 3:00 AM NST 21 January 2020 Today Tonight and Wednesday At 3:00 a.m. NST today ridge located south of the Grand Banks.
By 3:00 a.m. NST Wednesday ridge located on a line east-west over
At 3:00 a.m. NST today trough located over the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
By 3:00 a.m. NST Wednesday departing trough located east of the
At 3:30 p.m. NST Wednesday approaching low 1012 mb located southwest
of the Grand Banks.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 2:54 AM NST 21 January 2020 Marine interests are advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for all waters except the Grand Banks.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - northeastern half
- Anticosti - southwestern half
- Banquereau - northern half
- Banquereau - southern half
- Belle Isle Bank
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank
- Gulf - Magdalen
- Gulf - Port au Port - northwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - southeastern half
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Northeast Coast
- Northeast Gulf - northwestern half
- Northeast Gulf - southeastern half
- Northern Grand Banks
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast - northern half
- South Labrador Coast - southern half
- South Labrador Sea
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: