Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
Issued 10:00 AM NST 21 February 2020
Today Tonight and Saturday.
Wind west 30 knots diminishing to southwest 15 to 20 near midnight then increasing to southwest 25 near noon Saturday.
Flurries this afternoon Saturday afternoon and evening.
Risk of freezing spray.
Temperatures minus 20 rising to minus 8 Saturday morning.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 21 February 2020 Today Tonight and Saturday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4830N 5300W to 4845N 4925W
to 5355N 5015W to 5655N 5805W to 5800N 5905W then northward. Sea ice
west of the ice edge.
9 tenths grey ice including a trace of first-year ice except 9
tenths grey ice including 3 tenths first-year ice in the southern
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 20 February 2020
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 20 Feb estimated from Newfoundland near
4830N 5308W to 4805N 4825W to 4900N 4805W to 5045N 4730W to 5530N
5130W to 6100N 5700W to 6300N 5400W to 5830N 5000W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 20 Feb estimated from the Labrador
coast near 5150N 5615W to Newfoundland near 5133N 5600W.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs except less than 10 icebergs east of the
No watches or warnings in effect.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 10:00 AM NST 21 February 2020 Today Tonight and Saturday At 10:00 a.m. NST today weakening low 984 mb located over southern
By 3:00 a.m. NST Saturday dissipating low 1000 mb located east of
Belle Isle Bank.
At 10:00 a.m. NST today ridge located over the Maritimes.
By 10:00 a.m. NST Saturday ridge located on a line
northeast-southwest over the Grand Banks.
At 3:00 a.m. NST Saturday approaching trough located over Quebec.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 10:02 AM NST 21 February 2020 A low pressure system tracking southward over the Labrador Sea will
move across northeastern sections of Belle Isle Bank this afternoon.
Gale to storm force west to northwesterlies are expected for
northeastern waters today into tonight.
Otherwise, strong westerlies will diminish in advance of an
approaching ridge of high pressure.
Marine interests are advised that a storm warning is in effect for
Belle Isle Bank. Gale warnings are in effect for East Coast - north
of Cape St. Francis, Northeast Coast and Funk Island Bank.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for all waters except Strait of Belle Isle and the southern
half of the Southern Grand Banks.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Banquereau - northwestern half
- Banquereau - southeastern half
- Belle Isle Bank
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank - eastern half
- Funk Island Bank - western half
- Gulf - Magdalen - northeastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Northeast Coast - Cape St. John and south
- Northeast Coast - north of Cape St. John
- Northeast Gulf
- Northern Grand Banks
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks - northern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks - southern half
- Southwestern Grand Banks - northern half
- Southwestern Grand Banks - southern half
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: