Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
Issued 08:00 PM NST 16 February 2020
Tonight and Monday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southwest 25 knots except southwest 35 over eastern sections this evening. Wind diminishing to southwest 15 Monday morning and to light Monday afternoon. Wind becoming northeast 15 Monday evening.
Risk of freezing spray tonight and Monday morning.
Temperatures minus 6 falling to minus 12 Monday evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 16 February 2020 Today Tonight and Monday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4805N 5250W to 4810N 4930W
to 5425N 5120W to 5620N 5605W to 5800N 5730W then northward. Sea ice
west of the ice edge.
9 tenths new ice including 3 tenths grey ice except 9 tenths
grey-white ice including 3 tenths first-year ice along parts of the
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 16 February 2020
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 16 Feb estimated from Newfoundland near
4903N 5340W to 4840N 4835W to 5130N 4700W to 5530N 5130W to 6000N
5700W to 6200N 5400W to 5800N 4530W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 16 Feb estimated from the Labrador
coast near 5150N 5615W to Newfoundland near 5133N 5600W.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs except less than 10 icebergs east of the
Warnings (In effect)
Strait of Belle IsleIssued 8:00 PM NST 16 February 2020
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 8:00 PM NST 16 February 2020 Tonight and Monday At 8:00 p.m. NST tonight trough located over western Newfoundland.
By 10:00 a.m. NST Monday departing trough located east of the
At 3:00 a.m. NST Monday low 1015 mb located south of Nova Scotia.
By 8:00 p.m. NST Monday intensifying low 1011 mb located south of
the Avalon Peninsula.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 7:47 PM NST 16 February 2020 A trough of low pressure over Western Newfoundland will rapidly move
eastward across the district tonight. Strong to gale force
southwesterlies to westerlies can be expected both ahead of the
trough and in its wake.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for all
waters except Gulf waters and the Southern Grand Banks.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for Gulf waters, Northeast Coast, and Belle Isle Bank.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - northeastern half
- Anticosti - southwestern half
- Banquereau - northwestern half
- Banquereau - southeastern half
- Belle Isle Bank
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore - eastern half
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank - eastern half
- Funk Island Bank - western half
- Gulf - Magdalen - northeastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Northeast Coast
- Northeast Gulf - northwestern half
- Northeast Gulf - southeastern half
- Northern Grand Banks
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: