Issued 03:00 AM NDT 30 March 2020
Today Tonight and Tuesday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northeast 15 to 20 knots increasing to northeast 25 this evening and to northeast 35 Tuesday morning. Wind diminishing to northeast 25 Tuesday evening.
Flurries beginning overnight changing to periods of rain near noon Tuesday. Visibility 1 mile or less in precipitation.
Risk of freezing spray today and tonight.
Temperatures minus 7 to minus 2 rising to zero Tuesday morning.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 29 March 2020 Today Tonight and Monday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Nova Scotia near 4510N 6125W to 4500N 6000W
to 4520N 5900W to 4725N 5900W to Newfoundland near 4710N 5525W. Sea
ice north and west of the ice edge.
Ice CoverageSpecial ice warning in effect.
4 tenths grey-white ice including 1 tenth first-year ice except 8
tenths first-year ice in the northeastern section. Difficult ice
conditions in parts of the pack ice today and Monday.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 2:30 PM EDT 29 March 2020
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 30 Mar estimated from Newfoundland near
4638N 5335W to 4505N 4700W to 4610N 4500W to 4800N 4415W to 4920N
4420W to 5330N 4800W to 5835N 5525W to 6100N 5300W to 5800N 4900W
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 30 Mar estimated from Quebec near
5015N 6041W to Newfoundland near 4844N 5836W.
Iceberg CountLess than 10 icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
Northeast GulfIssued 03:00 AM NDT 30 March 2020
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Northeast GulfIssued 10:00 AM EDT 29 March 2020
Navigators in this marine area should be on the lookout for hazardous ice conditions and take necessary safety precautions. Please refer to the latest ice forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 3:00 AM NDT 30 March 2020 Today Tonight and Tuesday At 3:00 a.m. NDT today trough located on a line north-south over
the southeastern Grand Banks.
By 3:00 a.m. NDT Tuesday trough located on a line
northeast-southwest over the East Coast of Newfoundland.
At 3:00 a.m. NDT today ridge located on a line north-south over
the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
By 3:00 a.m. NDT Tuesday ridge located over northern Labrador.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 2:45 AM NDT 30 March 2020 A trough of low pressure over the Grand Banks will move slowly
westward to lie northeast to southwest over Newfoundland Tuesday
evening. Strong to gale force northerlies are forecast just west of
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for
Strait of Belle Isle, Northeast Gulf, Gulf - Port au Port, East Coast
- Cape St Francis and south, Northeast Coast - north of cape St.
John and the Southwestern Grand Banks.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - northwestern half
- Anticosti - southeastern half
- Banquereau - eastern half
- Banquereau - western half
- Belle Isle Bank
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank - eastern half
- Funk Island Bank - western half
- Gulf - Magdalen - eastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - western half
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Northeast Coast - Cape St. John and south
- Northeast Coast - north of Cape St. John
- Northeast Gulf
- Northern Grand Banks - eastern half
- Northern Grand Banks - western half
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast - Ramea and east
- Southwest Coast - west of Ramea
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: