Issued 10:00 AM NST 16 January 2021
Today Tonight and Sunday.
Wind north 15 knots except north 25 over eastern sections. Wind becoming northeast 10 to 15 near midnight then veering to east 20 Sunday morning. Wind veering to southeast 25 Sunday afternoon.
Rain Sunday evening.
Temperatures minus 2 rising to plus 3 Sunday afternoon.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 16 January 2021 Today Tonight and Sunday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 5105N 5545W to 5220N 5340W
to 5540N 5525W to 5800N 5730W then northeastward. Sea ice west of
the ice edge.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 2:36 PM EST 15 January 2021
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 16 Jan estimated from the Labrador coast
near 5201N 5546W to 5145N 5400W to 5700N 5400W to 5935N 5620W to
6430N 5530W to 6000N 5100W to 5640N 4725W then eastwards.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs.
No watches or warnings in effect.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 10:00 AM NST 16 January 2021 Today Tonight and Sunday At 10:00 a.m. NST today low 972 mb located southeast of the
By 10:00 a.m. NST Sunday departing low 986 mb located east of the
At 3:00 a.m. NST Sunday approaching trough located over Maine.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:49 AM NST 16 January 2021 An intense low pressure system just southeast of the Grand Banks will
track eastwards to lie east of the Grand Banks Sunday morning. Strong
to gale force northeasterlies ahead of the low will shift to gale to
storm force north to northwesterlies in its wake. Winds will briefly
diminish on Sunday as the low departs.
Meanwhile, a trough of low pressure will approach from the west on
Sunday. Strong to gale force southeasterlies will develop over
southwestern waters ahead of this trough.
Marine interests are advised that storm warnings are in effect for
East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south, Northern Grand Banks -
western half, Southeastern Grand Banks - western half, and
Southwestern Grand Banks. Gale warnings are in effect for all
remaining waters except Strait of Belle Isle, Northeast Coast, and
Belle Isle Bank.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Banquereau - eastern half
- Banquereau - western half
- Belle Isle Bank
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou
- Eastern Shore - eastern half
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank
- Gulf - Magdalen - eastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - western half
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan - eastern half
- Laurentian Fan - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Northeast Coast
- Northeast Gulf
- Northern Grand Banks - eastern half
- Northern Grand Banks - western half
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Sable - eastern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks - eastern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks - western half
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
Need to travel Alberta Highway 93?
Go prepared with Highway 93 forecasts. Highway regions are available in the Alberta text forecast bulletin between Lake Louise and Jasper. (Photo by: Natalie Anderson)
- Date modified: