Gulf - Port au Port
Issued 08:00 PM NST 23 February 2020
Tonight and Monday.
Wind variable 10 to 15 knots except northeast 20 over northern sections overnight and Monday. Wind becoming southeast 15 to 20 Monday afternoon then veering to south 25 Monday evening.
Flurries ending Monday morning. Visibility as low as 1 mile in flurries.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Over open water freezing spray over northern sections overnight and Monday morning.
Temperatures minus 1 falling to minus 8 to minus 3 overnight then rising to zero Monday afternoon.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 23 February 2020 Today Tonight and Monday
Ice EdgeFirst ice edge estimated from Nova Scotia near 4430N 6335W to 4420N
6320W to 4515N 6040W to 4530N 5740W to 4710N 5815W to Newfoundland
near 4710N 5525W. Sea ice north of the ice edge.
Second ice edge estimated from New Brunswick near 4530N 6515W to
Nova Scotia near 4510N 6445W. Sea ice east of the ice edge.
Open water except 9 tenths grey ice including 3 tenths grey-white
ice in the northern section.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 23 February 2020
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 23 Feb estimated from Newfoundland near
4738N 5242W to 4735N 4705W to 4910N 4600W to 5400N 5000W to 6230N
5359W to 5744N 4500W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 23 Feb estimated from the Labrador
coast near 5144N 5626W to Newfoundland near 5130N 5610W.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
Gulf - Port au PortIssued 8:00 PM NST 23 February 2020
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 8:00 PM NST 23 February 2020 Tonight and Monday At 8:00 p.m. NST tonight trough located over Belle Isle Bank.
By 3:00 a.m. NST Monday departing trough located east of Belle
At 8:00 p.m. NST tonight ridge located southeast of the Grand Banks.
By 8:00 p.m. NST Monday ridge located east of Funk Island Bank.
By 3:30 p.m. NST Monday approaching low 1006 mb located south of
the Grand Banks.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 7:55 PM NST 23 February 2020 A trough of low pressure over Belle Isle Bank will depart east of the
district tonight. Strong southwesterlies are expected ahead of the
trough over most waters while strong to gale force northwesterlies
are expected in its wake.
Marine interests are advised that a gale warning is in effect for
Belle Isle Bank.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for Gulf - Port au Port, Belle Isle Bank and Funk Island Bank.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - northern half
- Anticosti - southern half
- Banquereau - northwestern half
- Banquereau - southeastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - eastern half
- Belle Isle Bank - western half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank
- Gulf - Magdalen - northeastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Northeast Coast - Cape St. John and south
- Northeast Coast - north of Cape St. John
- Northeast Gulf
- Northern Grand Banks
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast - northern half
- South Labrador Coast - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: