Hecate Strait - northern half
Issued 04:00 AM PDT 30 March 2023
Today Tonight and Friday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northwest 15 to 25 knots diminishing to westerly 5 to 15 late this morning then increasing to south 20 to 30 early this evening. Wind increasing to south 35 near midnight then diminishing to south 20 to 30 Friday morning. Wind diminishing to southwest 15 to 20 near noon Friday.
Scattered showers beginning near noon changing to rain this evening then to showers Friday morning. Fog patches dissipating this morning.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Gale warning in effect
Hecate Strait - northern halfIssued 04:00 AM PDT 30 March 2023
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 AM PDT 30 March 2023 Today Tonight and Friday At 4:00 a.m. PDT today weakening ridge located on a line
northeast-southwest over Bowie.
By 10:00 a.m. PDT today dissipating ridge located on a line
northeast-southwest over Haida Gwaii.
At 4:00 p.m. PDT today frontal system located over Bowie.
By 4:00 a.m. PDT Friday frontal system located from Haida Gwaii
At 4:00 p.m. PDT Friday departing frontal system located over
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:50 AM PDT 30 March 2023 The ridge of high pressure over Bowie weakens as it moves eastward,
and strong northerly winds over most of the outer waters will
A Pacific frontal system pushes into Bowie this afternoon and slides
southeastward tonight. By Friday morning, the system will lie from
Haida Gwaii to Explorer. Strong to gale force southerly winds are
expected ahead of the system. In its wake, winds shift to strong to
gale force westerly or northwesterly.
The frontal system reaches Vancouver Island Friday afternoon and
generates strong to marginal gale force southeasterly winds in the
Strait of Georgia. As the system departs the South Coast Friday
evening, strong to marginal gale force westerly winds develop in
Its wake in the Juan de Fuca Strait.
Mackenzie - Mackenzie River Area
- Axe Point mile 91 to Camsell Bend mile 290
- Camsell Bend mile 290 to Tulita mile 512
- Dixon Entrance East
- Dixon Entrance West - east of Langara
- Dixon Entrance West - west of Langara
- Fort Good Hope mile 684 to Point Separation mile 913
- Great Slave Lake - basin
- Great Slave Lake - east arm
- Great Slave Lake - north arm
- Hecate Strait - northern half
- Lake Athabasca - eastern half
- Lake Athabasca - western half
- North Mackenzie
- North Tuktoyaktuk
- Point Separation mile 913 to Kittigazuit Bay mile 1081
- Prince Alfred
- Prince of Wales
- Tuktoyaktuk - northern half
- Tuktoyaktuk - southern half
- Tulita mile 512 to Fort Good Hope mile 684
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - northern half
- Wrigley Harbour mile 0 to Axe Point mile 91
- Yukon Coast
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: