South Labrador Sea - northwestern half
Issued 04:00 PM NST 10 December 2017
Tonight and Monday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind variable 15 knots increasing to northeast 25 this evening then backing to northwest 30 late overnight. Wind backing to west 30 early Monday morning then increasing to northwest 35 Monday afternoon.
Snow ending late Monday morning. Flurries beginning Monday evening. Visibility 1 mile or less in precipitation.
Risk of freezing spray Monday.
Temperatures near minus 3.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 10 December 2017 Today Tonight and Monday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Labrador near 5210N 5540W to 5305N 5520W to
5430N 5640W to 5600N 6025W to 5750N 6130W to 6030N 6355W to 6045N
6250W then northward. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 10 December 2017
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 11 Dec estimated from the Labrador coast
near 5225N 5540W to 5030N 5300W to 5330N 4800W to 5500N 4800W to
6000N 5900W to 6100N 5400W to 5700N 5000W then eastwards.
Iceberg CountUnknown number of icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
South Labrador Sea - northwestern halfIssued 4:00 PM NST 10 December 2017
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 PM NST 10 December 2017 Tonight and Monday At 4:00 p.m. NST today departing ridge located east of the Marine
At 4:00 p.m. NST today intensifying low 977 mb located over the
northeastern Gulf of St. Lawrence.
By 9:30 a.m. NST Monday departing low 959 mb located east of the
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:53 PM NST 10 December 2017 A low pressure system over the Northeastern Gulf of St. Lawrence will
continue to move northeastward and intensify to lie over the South
Labrador Coast by this evening before lying east of Greenland by
Strong to gale force east to northeasterlies will develop over
southern waters ahead of this low before backing to gale to storm
force northwesterlies over most waters in its wake.
Marine interests are advised that a storm warning is in effect for
the South Labrador Sea - southeastern half. Gale warnings are in
effect for South Labrador Coast, Mid Labrador Coast, North Labrador
Coast, South Labrador Sea - northwestern half, and East Labrador Sea
- southern half.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for all waters except the South Labrador Sea - northwestern
half, and the East Labrador Sea.
Arctic - Eastern Arctic Area
- Arviat - eastern half
- Arviat - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- Central - eastern half
- Central - western half
- Clarence - northern half
- Clarence - southern half
- Coats - northern half
- Coats - southern half
- East Baffin - northern half
- East Baffin - southern half
- East Brevoort
- East Clyde
- East Davis - northern half
- East Davis - southern half
- East Foxe
- East Labrador Sea - northern half
- East Labrador Sea - southern half
- Eureka - southern half
- Frobisher Bay
- Jones - eastern half
- Jones - western half
- Kane - southern half
- Lancaster - eastern half
- Lancaster - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale
- Navy Board
- Northwest Labrador Sea
- North Labrador Coast
- Nottingham - eastern half
- Nottingham - western half
- Prince Charles
- Puvirnituq - northern half
- Puvirnituq - southern half
- Rankin - northern half
- Rankin - southern half
- Resolution - eastern half
- Resolution - western half
- Roes Welcome - northern half
- Roes Welcome - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - northwestern half
- South Sverdrup
- South-central Hudson - eastern half
- St. Roch
- West Baffin - northern half
- West Baffin - southern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- West Clyde - northern half
- West Clyde - southern half
- West Davis - northern half
- West Davis - southern half
- West Foxe
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: