South Labrador Sea
Issued 09:30 PM NST 23 November 2017
Tonight and Friday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind variable 10 to 15 knots except southeast 25 over southeastern sections tonight. Wind becoming west 25 Friday morning then increasing to southwest 35 Friday afternoon.
Snow or rain changing to flurries Friday afternoon. Visibility 1 mile or less in precipitation.
Temperatures minus 3 to plus 4.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 23 November 2017 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Labrador near 5205N 5540W to 5215N 5530W to
5330N 5530W to 5435N 5705W to Labrador near 5455N 5755W. Sea ice
west of the ice edge.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 23 November 2017
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 24 Nov estimated from the Labrador coast
near 5205N 5545W to 5015N 5415W to 5200N 4900W to 5300N 4730W to
5500N 5000W to 6000N 6000W to 6100N 5400W to 5800N 5000W then
Iceberg CountUnknown number of icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
South Labrador SeaIssued 9:30 PM NST 23 November 2017
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM NST 23 November 2017 Tonight and Friday At 9:30 p.m. NST tonight low 984 mb located over southwestern
Belle Isle Bank.
By 9:30 p.m. NST Friday low 976 mb located over the Northwest
At 9:30 p.m. NST tonight trough located on a line north-south over
central Labrador Sea.
By 10:00 a.m. NST Friday dissipating trough located over central
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:23 PM NST 23 November 2017 A low pressure system will track northeastwards across the Belle Isle
Bank tonight, then move northwestwards to lie over the Northwest
Labrador Sea by Friday evening. Gale force southeasterlies over
eastern waters will spread westward ahead of this system. Strong to
gale force west to northwesterlies will develop over western waters
on Friday as the low crosses the Labrador Sea.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for all
waters except Lake Melville.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for Lake Melville and the Labrador coast.
Arctic - Eastern Arctic Area
- Arviat - eastern half
- Arviat - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- Central - eastern half
- Central - western half
- Clarence - northern half
- Clarence - southern half
- Coats - northern half
- Coats - southern half
- East Baffin - northern half
- East Baffin - southern half
- East Brevoort - northern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Clyde - northern half
- East Clyde - southern half
- East Davis - northern half
- East Davis - southern half
- East Foxe
- East Labrador Sea - northeastern half
- East Labrador Sea - southwestern half
- Eureka - southern half
- Frobisher Bay
- Jones - eastern half
- Jones - western half
- Kane - southern half
- Lancaster - eastern half
- Lancaster - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Navy Board
- Northwest Labrador Sea
- North Labrador Coast
- Nottingham - eastern half
- Nottingham - western half
- Prince Charles
- Puvirnituq - northern half
- Puvirnituq - southern half
- Rankin - northern half
- Rankin - southern half
- Resolution - eastern half
- Resolution - western half
- Roes Welcome - northern half
- Roes Welcome - southern half
- South Labrador Sea
- South Sverdrup
- South-central Hudson - eastern half
- St. Roch
- Ungava - eastern half
- Ungava - western half
- West Baffin - northern half
- West Baffin - southern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- West Clyde - northern half
- West Clyde - southern half
- West Davis - northern half
- West Davis - southern half
- West Foxe
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: