Northwest Labrador Sea - northwestern half
Issued 09:30 PM NST 08 February 2023
Tonight and Thursday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northwest 30 knots increasing to north 35 near midnight then diminishing to northwest 20 near noon Thursday.
Risk of freezing spray.
Temperatures minus 20 to minus 12.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 11:00 AM EST 8 February 2023 Today Tonight and Thursday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from 5803N 5746W to 6030N 5707W then
northeastwards. Sea ice northwest of the ice edge.
8 tenths first-year ice except 9 plus tenths first-year ice
including a trace of old ice in the western section.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 1:30 PM EST 8 February 2023
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 9 Feb estimated from Newfoundland near
5015N 5640W to 4910N 4935W to 5245N 4730W to 5830N 5550W to 6005N
5015W to 5740N 4610W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 9 Feb estimated from Quebec near
5110N 5845W to Newfoundland near 5022N 5725W.
Iceberg CountUnknown number of icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
Northwest Labrador Sea - northwestern halfIssued 9:30 PM NST 08 February 2023
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM NST 8 February 2023 Tonight and Thursday At 9:30 p.m. NST tonight trough located on a line
northeast-southwest over the Northwest Labrador Sea.
By 4:00 p.m. NST Thursday trough located over the East Labrador Sea.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:30 PM NST 8 February 2023 A trough of low pressure over the Northwest Labrador Sea will move
southeastward to lie over the East Labrador Sea by Thursday. Strong
southwesterlies ahead of the trough will shift to strong to gale
force northwesterlies as it passes.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for all
waters except Lake Melville and South Labrador Coast.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for South Labrador Sea, Northwest Labrador Sea - southeastern
half, and East Labrador Sea.
Arctic - Eastern Arctic Area
- Arviat - eastern half
- Arviat - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- Central - eastern half
- Central - western half
- Clarence - northern half
- Clarence - southern half
- Coats - northern half
- Coats - southern half
- East Baffin
- East Brevoort - northern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Clyde
- East Davis - northern half
- East Davis - southern half
- East Foxe
- East Labrador Sea
- Eureka - southern half
- Frobisher Bay
- Jones - eastern half
- Jones - western half
- Kane - southern half
- Lancaster - eastern half
- Lancaster - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale
- Navy Board
- Northwest Labrador Sea - northwestern half
- Northwest Labrador Sea - southeastern half
- North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek
- North Labrador Coast - Saglek and south
- Nottingham - eastern half
- Nottingham - western half
- Prince Charles
- Puvirnituq - northern half
- Puvirnituq - southern half
- Rankin - northern half
- Rankin - southern half
- Resolution - eastern half
- Resolution - western half
- Roes Welcome - northern half
- Roes Welcome - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - northern half
- South Labrador Sea - southern half
- South Sverdrup
- South-central Hudson - eastern half
- St. Roch
- Ungava - eastern half
- Ungava - western half
- West Baffin - northern half
- West Baffin - southern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- West Clyde - northern half
- West Clyde - southern half
- West Davis - northern half
- West Davis - southern half
- West Foxe
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: