Northwest Labrador Sea - southern half
Issued 04:00 AM NDT 20 October 2018
Today Tonight and Sunday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northwest 20 knots diminishing to variable 10 to 15 this morning then increasing to east 15 to 20 this evening. Wind increasing to east 25 late overnight and to northeast 35 to 45 Sunday morning.
Flurries. Visibility as low as 1 mile in flurries.
Temperatures near zero.
Northwest Labrador Sea - eastern half
Northwest Labrador Sea - western half
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 11:00 AM EDT 19 October 2018 Today Tonight and Saturday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Baffin Island near 6910N 6640W to 7005N
6500W to 7340N 6910W to 7445N 7250W then northeastward. Sea ice west
of the ice edge.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EDT 19 October 2018
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 20 Oct estimated from Newfoundland near
5030N 5620W to 5030N 5400W to 5200N 5100W to 5430N 5100W.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 20 Oct estimated from the Labrador
coast near 5155N 5600W to Newfoundland near 5130N 5600W.
Iceberg CountUnknown number of icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
Northwest Labrador Sea - southern halfIssued 04:00 AM NDT 20 October 2018
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 AM NDT 20 October 2018 Today Tonight and Sunday At 4:00 a.m. NDT today trough located over the South Labrador Sea.
By 4:00 p.m. NDT today dissipating trough located southeast of
At 4:00 a.m. NDT today low 984 mb located over Quebec.
By 4:00 a.m. NDT Sunday low 984 mb located west of Labrador.
By 4:00 a.m. NDT Sunday trough from 984 mb low located on a line
east-west over the Mid Labrador Coast.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:50 AM NDT 20 October 2018 A trough of low pressure over the South Labrador Sea will move to lie
southeast of the district this afternoon. Strong to gale force
westerlies to the south of the trough will diminish this morning as
it weakens and departs.
A low pressure system over Quebec will move to lie just west of
Labrador Sunday morning. Meanwhile, an associated trough will
approach from the southwest to lie on an east-west line over the Mid
Labrador Coast. Strong to gale force southerly to northeasterly winds
will develop tonight and Sunday ahead of the trough. Winds will
diminish to strong southwesterlies over southern waters on Sunday as
the trough moves northwards.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for all
waters except Lake Melville, North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek,
and Northwest Labrador Sea - northern half.
Arctic - Eastern Arctic Area
- Arviat - eastern half
- Arviat - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- Central - eastern half
- Central - western half
- Clarence - northern half
- Clarence - southern half
- Coats - northern half
- Coats - southern half
- East Baffin - northern half
- East Baffin - southern half
- East Brevoort - northern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Clyde - northern half
- East Clyde - southern half
- East Davis - northern half
- East Davis - southern half
- East Foxe
- East Labrador Sea
- Eureka - southern half
- Frobisher Bay
- Igloolik - northern half
- Igloolik - southern half
- Jones - eastern half
- Jones - western half
- Kane - southern half
- Lancaster - eastern half
- Lancaster - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale
- Navy Board
- Northwest Labrador Sea - northern half
- Northwest Labrador Sea - southern half
- North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek
- North Labrador Coast - Saglek and south
- Nottingham - eastern half
- Nottingham - western half
- Prince Charles
- Puvirnituq - northern half
- Puvirnituq - southern half
- Rankin - northern half
- Rankin - southern half
- Resolution - eastern half
- Resolution - western half
- Roes Welcome - northern half
- Roes Welcome - southern half
- South Labrador Sea
- South Sverdrup
- South-central Hudson - eastern half
- St. Roch
- Ungava - eastern half
- Ungava - western half
- West Baffin - northern half
- West Baffin - southern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- West Clyde - northern half
- West Clyde - southern half
- West Davis - northern half
- West Davis - southern half
- West Foxe
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: