Northwest Labrador Sea
Issued 09:30 AM NST 20 January 2022
Today Tonight and Friday.
Wind west 15 to 20 knots except west 25 over northwestern sections. Wind becoming west 10 to 15 near noon except west 25 over northwestern sections. Wind becoming northwest 15 to 20 late overnight then increasing to northwest 25 Friday evening.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Over open water freezing spray late this morning. Freezing spray over northwestern sections this afternoon and tonight. Freezing spray late overnight and Friday.
Temperatures minus 16 to minus 8.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 11:00 AM EST 20 January 2022 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from 5803N 5738W to 6200N 5826W to 6324N 5758W
then northeastward. Sea ice northwest of the ice edge.
Bergy water except 7 tenths grey-white ice including 1 tenth
first-year ice in the western section. 9 plus tenths first-year ice
in the extreme northwestern section.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 1:30 PM EST 20 January 2022
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 20 Jan estimated from the Labrador coast
near 5210N 5550W to 5125N 5145W to 5215N 5000W to 5425N 5125W to
5600N 5500W to 5920N 5655W to 6035N 5210W then eastwards.
Iceberg CountUnknown number of icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
Northwest Labrador SeaIssued 09:30 AM NST 20 January 2022
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 AM NST 20 January 2022 Today Tonight and Friday At 9:30 a.m. NST today trough located east of Labrador Sea.
By 4:00 a.m. NST Friday departing trough located south of Greenland.
At 9:30 a.m. NST today ridge located on a line northwest-southeast
over central Labrador.
By 9:30 p.m. NST tonight weakening ridge located over Belle
At 4:00 a.m. NST Friday intensifying trough located on a line
northeast-southwest over the East Labrador Sea.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:27 AM NST 20 January 2022 Marine interests are advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for all regions with open water.
Arctic - Eastern Arctic Area
- Arviat - eastern half
- Arviat - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- Central - eastern half
- Central - western half
- Clarence - northern half
- Clarence - southern half
- Coats - northern half
- Coats - southern half
- East Baffin
- East Brevoort - northern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Clyde
- East Davis - northern half
- East Davis - southern half
- East Foxe
- East Labrador Sea
- Eureka - southern half
- Frobisher Bay
- Jones - eastern half
- Jones - western half
- Kane - southern half
- Lancaster - eastern half
- Lancaster - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale
- Navy Board
- Northwest Labrador Sea
- North Labrador Coast
- Nottingham - eastern half
- Nottingham - western half
- Prince Charles
- Puvirnituq - northern half
- Puvirnituq - southern half
- Rankin - northern half
- Rankin - southern half
- Resolution - eastern half
- Resolution - western half
- Roes Welcome - northern half
- Roes Welcome - southern half
- South Labrador Sea
- South Sverdrup
- South-central Hudson - eastern half
- St. Roch
- West Baffin - northern half
- West Baffin - southern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- West Clyde - northern half
- West Clyde - southern half
- West Davis - northern half
- West Davis - southern half
- West Foxe
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
Hello Weather: our upgraded telephone weather service is here. 1-833-794-3556 or 1-833-79HELLO.
- Date modified: