Northwest Labrador Sea
Issued 04:00 AM NST 16 November 2018
Today Tonight and Saturday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northwest 25 to 35 knots diminishing to northwest 20 near midnight then veering to north 15 to 20 Saturday morning. Wind diminishing to variable 10 to 15 Saturday afternoon.
Flurries. Visibility as low as 1 mile in flurries.
A risk of freezing spray over northwestern sections today.
Temperatures minus 4 to plus 1.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 11:00 AM EST 15 November 2018 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from 6110N 6305W to 6130N 6205W to 6420N 5815W to
6520N 5745W then northeastward. Sea ice north and west of the ice
Bergy water except 2 tenths new ice in the extreme northwestern
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 15 November 2018
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 15 Nov estimated from the Labrador coast
near 5300N 5552W to 5200N 5400W to 5200N 5030W to 5400N 5030W to
5730N 5330W to 5800N 5630W to 6000N 6000W to 6100N 5400W to 5800N
5000W then eastwards.
Iceberg CountUnknown number of icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
Northwest Labrador SeaIssued 04:00 AM NST 16 November 2018
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 AM NST 16 November 2018 Today Tonight and Saturday At 4:00 a.m. NST today low 956 mb located east of the Marine
By 4:00 p.m. NST today departing low 966 mb located southeast
At 4:00 a.m. NST today ridge located on a line north-south over
By 4:00 a.m. NST Saturday ridge located on a line
northwest-southeast over Labrador Coast.
At 4:00 a.m. NST today intensifying trough located off Greenland.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:40 AM NST 16 November 2018 A powerful low pressure system will continue moving eastward into the
North Atlantic throughout the day. Meanwhile, a trough of low
pressure is expected to intensify off the coast of Greenland today.
Strong to gale force northwesterlies will weaken today as a ridge
builds in from the west, however, strong winds will persist in
eastern waters in response to the trough.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for
South Labrador Coast and the Labrador Sea.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for Lake Melville, South Labrador Coast, and Mid Labrador
Arctic - Eastern Arctic Area
- Arviat - eastern half
- Arviat - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- Central - eastern half
- Central - western half
- Clarence - northern half
- Clarence - southern half
- Coats - northern half
- Coats - southern half
- East Baffin - northern half
- East Baffin - southern half
- East Brevoort - northern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Clyde - northern half
- East Clyde - southern half
- East Davis - northern half
- East Davis - southern half
- East Foxe
- East Labrador Sea
- Eureka - southern half
- Frobisher Bay
- Jones - eastern half
- Jones - western half
- Kane - southern half
- Lancaster - eastern half
- Lancaster - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Navy Board
- Northwest Labrador Sea
- North Labrador Coast
- Nottingham - eastern half
- Nottingham - western half
- Prince Charles
- Puvirnituq - northern half
- Puvirnituq - southern half
- Rankin - northern half
- Rankin - southern half
- Resolution - eastern half
- Resolution - western half
- Roes Welcome - northern half
- Roes Welcome - southern half
- South Labrador Sea
- South Sverdrup
- South-central Hudson - eastern half
- St. Roch
- Ungava - eastern half
- Ungava - western half
- West Baffin - northern half
- West Baffin - southern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- West Clyde - northern half
- West Clyde - southern half
- West Davis - northern half
- West Davis - southern half
- West Foxe
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: