Northwest Labrador Sea
Issued 04:00 AM NST 12 November 2019
Today Tonight and Wednesday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind west 15 to 20 knots increasing to west 35 early this morning then diminishing to west 25 near midnight. Wind veering to northwest 15 to 20 Wednesday morning then to north 25 Wednesday afternoon. Wind increasing to north 35 Wednesday evening.
Flurries. Visibility 1 mile or less in flurries.
Temperatures near minus 1.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 11:00 AM EST 11 November 2019 Today Tonight and Tuesday
Ice EdgeFirst ice edge estimated from Meta Incognita Peninsula near 6215N
6555W to 6215N 6405W to 6650N 6005W to 6805N 6405W to Cumberland
Peninsula near 6800N 6450W. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
Second ice edge estimated from Baffin Island near 6915N 6640W to
7125N 6515W to 7205N 6745W to 7245N 6450W then northeastward. Sea
ice northwest of the ice edge.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 11 November 2019
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 12 Nov estimated from the Labrador coast
near 5230N 5600W to 5100N 5200W to 5100N 4930W to 5200N 4730W to
5530N 5400W to 6100N 5859W to 6200N 5359W to 5800N 4759W then
Iceberg CountUnknown number of icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
Northwest Labrador SeaIssued 04:00 AM NST 12 November 2019
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 AM NST 12 November 2019 Today Tonight and Wednesday At 4:00 a.m. NST today quasi-stationary trough located north of
the Marine District.
At 4:00 p.m. NST today intensifying low 1001 mb located over
By 4:00 p.m. NST Wednesday deepening low 987 mb located over
At 4:00 a.m. NST today ridge located over Newfoundland.
By 4:00 a.m. NST Wednesday ridge located on a line east-west over
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:52 AM NST 12 November 2019 A trough of low pressure will stall north of the marine district and
weaken. Gale force westerlies south of the trough will gradually
A low pressure system will approach from the Maritimes today and
tonight and rapidly intensify as it moves over the Labrador Sea
Wednesday night. Strong to gale force northeasterlies will develop
ahead of the low then shift to gale to storm force northwesterlies in
Marine interests are advised that storm warnings are in effect for
Mid Labrador Coast and South Labrador Sea - northwestern half.
Gale warnings are in effect for all remaining waters.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for Lake Melville and the Labrador coast.
Arctic - Eastern Arctic Area
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- Clarence - northern half
- Clarence - southern half
- Coats - northern half
- Coats - southern half
- East Baffin - northern half
- East Baffin - southern half
- East Brevoort - northern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Clyde - northern half
- East Clyde - southern half
- East Davis - northern half
- East Davis - southern half
- East Foxe
- East Labrador Sea
- Eureka - southern half
- Frobisher Bay
- Igloolik - northern half
- Igloolik - southern half
- Kane - southern half
- Lancaster - eastern half
- Lancaster - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Navy Board
- Northwest Labrador Sea
- North Labrador Coast
- Nottingham - eastern half
- Nottingham - western half
- Prince Charles
- Puvirnituq - northern half
- Puvirnituq - southern half
- Rankin - northern half
- Rankin - southern half
- Resolution - eastern half
- Resolution - western half
- Roes Welcome - northern half
- Roes Welcome - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - northwestern half
- South Sverdrup
- South-central Hudson - eastern half
- St. Roch
- Ungava - eastern half
- Ungava - western half
- West Baffin - northern half
- West Baffin - southern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- West Clyde - northern half
- West Clyde - southern half
- West Davis - northern half
- West Davis - southern half
- West Foxe
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: