Northwest Labrador Sea
Issued 09:30 AM NST 21 January 2022
Today Tonight and Saturday.
Wind northwest 20 knots increasing to northwest 30 near noon then diminishing to west 15 to 20 late overnight. Wind backing to southwest 25 Saturday morning.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Over open water freezing spray.
Temperatures minus 16 to minus 8 rising to minus 8 to minus 4 Saturday afternoon.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 11:00 AM EST 20 January 2022 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from 5803N 5738W to 6200N 5826W to 6324N 5758W
then northeastward. Sea ice northwest of the ice edge.
Bergy water except 7 tenths grey-white ice including 1 tenth
first-year ice in the western section. 9 plus tenths first-year ice
in the extreme northwestern section.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 2:04 PM EST 20 January 2022
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 21 Jan estimated from the Labrador coast
near 5210N 5550W to 5115N 5140W to 5230N 4905W to 5425N 5115W to
5600N 5500W to 5920N 5655W to 6035N 5210W then eastwards.
Iceberg CountUnknown number of icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
Northwest Labrador SeaIssued 09:30 AM NST 21 January 2022
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 AM NST 21 January 2022 Today Tonight and Saturday At 9:30 a.m. NST today intensifying low 999 mb located over the
East Labrador Sea.
By 9:30 a.m. NST Saturday departing low 992 mb located southeast
of the East Labrador Sea.
At 9:30 a.m. NST today ridge located over northern Labrador.
By 9:30 a.m. NST Saturday ridge located over the East Labrador Sea.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:20 AM NST 21 January 2022 An intensifying low pressure system over the East Labrador Sea will
track slowly southeastward today and tonight. Gale to storm force
northwesterlies will develop in the wake of the low later today.
Winds will diminish as it departs the marine district on Saturday.
Marine interests are advised that a storm warning is in effect for
East Labrador Sea.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for all regions with open water.
Arctic - Eastern Arctic Area
- Arviat - eastern half
- Arviat - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- Central - eastern half
- Central - western half
- Clarence - northern half
- Clarence - southern half
- Coats - northern half
- Coats - southern half
- East Baffin
- East Brevoort - northern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Clyde
- East Davis - northern half
- East Davis - southern half
- East Foxe
- East Labrador Sea
- Eureka - southern half
- Frobisher Bay
- Jones - eastern half
- Jones - western half
- Kane - southern half
- Lancaster - eastern half
- Lancaster - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale
- Navy Board
- Northwest Labrador Sea
- North Labrador Coast
- Nottingham - eastern half
- Nottingham - western half
- Prince Charles
- Puvirnituq - northern half
- Puvirnituq - southern half
- Rankin - northern half
- Rankin - southern half
- Resolution - eastern half
- Resolution - western half
- Roes Welcome - northern half
- Roes Welcome - southern half
- South Labrador Sea
- South Sverdrup
- South-central Hudson - eastern half
- St. Roch
- West Baffin - northern half
- West Baffin - southern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- West Clyde - northern half
- West Clyde - southern half
- West Davis - northern half
- West Davis - southern half
- West Foxe
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
Hello Weather: our upgraded telephone weather service is here. 1-833-794-3556 or 1-833-79HELLO.
- Date modified: