East Labrador Sea
Issued 04:00 PM NDT 20 October 2018
Tonight and Sunday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northwest 15 to 20 knots diminishing to variable 10 to 15 early this evening then increasing to southeast 25 after midnight. Wind increasing to northeast 35 to 45 Sunday morning except southwest 15 to 20 over southern sections.
Flurries changing to periods of snow or rain late overnight. Visibility as low as 1 mile in precipitation.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 4 August 2018
Forecasts available to mariners upon request.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EDT 20 October 2018
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 21 Oct estimated from Newfoundland near
5030N 5620W to 5030N 5400W to 5145N 5100W to 5430N 5100W to 5800N
5630W to 6000N 5400W to 5800N 5100W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 21 Oct estimated from the Labrador
coast near 5155N 5600W to Newfoundland near 5130N 5600W.
Iceberg CountForecasts available to mariners upon request.
Warnings (In effect)
East Labrador SeaIssued 4:00 PM NDT 20 October 2018
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 PM NDT 20 October 2018 Tonight and Sunday At 4:00 p.m. NDT today low 982 mb located over Quebec.
By 4:00 p.m. NDT Sunday low 988 mb located off the Mid Labrador
At 4:00 a.m. NDT Sunday trough from low located on a line east-west
over the Mid Labrador Coast.
By 4:00 p.m. NDT Sunday trough from 988 mb low located on a line
northeast-southwest over the South Labrador Sea.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:41 PM NDT 20 October 2018 A low pressure system over Quebec will move into Labrador Sunday
morning. Meanwhile, an associated trough will approach from the
southwest to lie on an east-west line over the Mid Labrador Coast
overnight and continue to build northeastward into the Labrador Sea
on Sunday. Strong to gale force southerly to northeasterly winds will
develop tonight and Sunday ahead of the trough. Winds will diminish
to strong southwesterlies over southern waters on Sunday as the
trough moves northwards.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for all
waters except Lake Melville, North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek,
and Northwest Labrador Sea - northern half.
Arctic - Eastern Arctic Area
- Arviat - eastern half
- Arviat - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- Central - eastern half
- Central - western half
- Clarence - northern half
- Clarence - southern half
- Coats - northern half
- Coats - southern half
- East Baffin
- East Brevoort - northern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Clyde - northern half
- East Clyde - southern half
- East Davis - northern half
- East Davis - southern half
- East Foxe
- East Labrador Sea
- Eureka - southern half
- Frobisher Bay
- Igloolik - northern half
- Igloolik - southern half
- Jones - eastern half
- Jones - western half
- Kane - southern half
- Lancaster - eastern half
- Lancaster - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale
- Navy Board
- Northwest Labrador Sea - northern half
- Northwest Labrador Sea - southern half
- North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek
- North Labrador Coast - Saglek and south
- Nottingham - eastern half
- Nottingham - western half
- Prince Charles
- Puvirnituq - northern half
- Puvirnituq - southern half
- Rankin - northern half
- Rankin - southern half
- Resolution - eastern half
- Resolution - western half
- Roes Welcome - northern half
- Roes Welcome - southern half
- South Labrador Sea
- South Sverdrup
- South-central Hudson - eastern half
- St. Roch
- Ungava - eastern half
- Ungava - western half
- West Baffin - northern half
- West Baffin - southern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- West Clyde - northern half
- West Clyde - southern half
- West Davis - northern half
- West Davis - southern half
- West Foxe
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: