West Coast Vancouver Island South
Issued 09:30 PM PST 08 February 2023
Tonight and Thursday.
Storm warning in effect.
Wind southeast 25 to 35 knots except southeast 45 northwest of Estevan Point. Wind becoming southeast 30 to 40 early Thursday morning except southeast 50 northwest of Estevan Point Thursday morning and afternoon and southwest 25 over western sections Thursday evening. Wind diminishing to southwest 25 early Thursday evening.
Periods of rain. Visibility 1 mile or less in rain.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
West Coast Vancouver Island SouthIssued 9:30 PM PST 08 February 2023
'Storm' force winds of 48 to 63 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM PST 8 February 2023 Tonight and Thursday At 9:30 p.m. PST tonight frontal system located from Haida Gwaii
By 4:00 p.m. PST Thursday frontal system located from Hecate Strait
to Cape Scott.
At 4:00 a.m. PST Thursday low 986 mb located west of Bowie.
By 4:00 p.m. PST Thursday low 992 mb located over Bowie.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:24 PM PST 8 February 2023 A vigorous Pacific front continues to bring widespread gale to storm
force southeasterlies over offshore, northern and central waters.
Storm to hurricane force southeasterlies have developed near the
headlands of Northern Vancouver Island and will continue through till
noon on Thursday.
Another trough of low pressure crosses the offshore waters overnight
and will merge with the current Pacific front. This will cause
southeasterly gales to spread into the inner South Coast waters, and
will help maintain gale to storm force southerlies from East Dixon to
Queen Charlotte Sound and waters west of Vancouver Island through
much of Thursday.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: