West Coast Vancouver Island South
Issued 04:00 PM PDT 21 March 2019
Tonight and Friday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southeast 10 to 15 knots except southeast 20 northwest of Estevan Point. Wind becoming southeast 15 to 25 early Friday morning except southeast 35 northwest of Estevan Point. Wind becoming southeast 30 to 40 near noon Friday then diminishing to southerly 15 to 25 Friday afternoon.
Showers after midnight. Rain beginning near noon Friday.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
West Coast Vancouver Island SouthIssued 4:00 PM PDT 21 March 2019
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 PM PDT 21 March 2019 Tonight and Friday At 4:00 p.m. PDT today cold front located off Bowie.
By 4:00 a.m. PDT Friday weakening cold front located over Bowie.
At 4:00 a.m. PDT Friday trough located off Explorer.
By 7:00 p.m. PDT Friday intensifying trough located on a line
northwest-southeast over Queen Charlotte Sound.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:46 PM PDT 21 March 2019 A cold front west of Bowie will track slowly eastward tonight. Ahead
of the front, strong to gale force southeasterlies over the northern
and central waters will prevail tonight.
An intensifying trough of low pressure will track across Explorer on
Friday and lie over Queen Charlotte Sound by Friday evening. Ahead
Of the trough, southeasterly gales will develop across Explorer
overnight and spread to the west coast of Vancouver Island Friday
morning. As the trough moves northward, southeasterly winds will
Rise quickly to gale force over central waters and northern waters
late Friday. Winds will shift to strong to gale force
Southwesterlies in the wake of the trough.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: