West Coast Vancouver Island South
Issued 09:30 PM PDT 19 September 2018
Tonight and Thursday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northwest 5 to 15 knots becoming light near midnight then increasing to southeast 10 to 20 early Thursday morning. Wind increasing to southeast 20 to 30 late Thursday morning except southeast 30 to 35 northwest of Estevan Point Thursday afternoon and evening. Wind becoming southwest 25 early Thursday evening.
Periods of rain beginning Thursday morning.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
West Coast Vancouver Island SouthIssued 9:30 PM PDT 19 September 2018
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM PDT 19 September 2018 Tonight and Thursday At 11:00 a.m. PDT Thursday deepening low 1008 mb located over
By 8:00 p.m. PDT Thursday low 1005 mb located over southwestern
Queen Charlotte Sound.
At 5:00 a.m. PDT Thursday intensifying cold front from low located
over northern Explorer.
By 5:00 p.m. PDT Thursday cold front from low located over Queen
Charlotte Sound to Tofino.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:17 PM PDT 19 September 2018 A low pressure system will approach Northern Explorer on Thursday
morning and Progress across the central waters through the day.
The cold front extending southeastward from this system will lead to
gale force southeasterly winds for Queen Charlotte Sound and the
West coast of Vancouver Island by Thursday afternoon. Southeast
gales will also develop through the inner South Coast straits by
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: