West Coast Vancouver Island South
Issued 09:30 PM PST 16 January 2019
Tonight and Thursday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southeast 30 to 40 knots becoming southeast 35 to 45 Thursday morning then diminishing to southwest 30 Thursday evening.
Periods of rain.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
West Coast Vancouver Island SouthIssued 9:30 PM PST 16 January 2019
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM PST 16 January 2019 Tonight and Thursday At 9:30 p.m. PST tonight quasi-stationary ridge located over
At 9:30 p.m. PST tonight quasi-stationary frontal system located
on a line northwest-southeast over Explorer.
At 9:30 p.m. PST tonight low 973 mb located 200 miles southwest
By 4:00 p.m. PST Thursday low 986 mb located over southern Explorer.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:34 PM PST 16 January 2019 A ridge of high pressure over the BC Interior will gradually
intensify tonight and begin to weaken Thursday afternoon. Strong to
gale force northeasterly outflow winds near the mainland inlets will
increase to gale to storm force on tonight then ease Thursday
A frontal system will continue to lie across Bowie and Explorer
tonight. The front will merge and reintensify with another Pacific
system approaching Explorer from the southwest tonight. The centre
Of this Pacific system will move into Southern Explorer on Thursday
afternoon. Gale force southeasterly winds will continue tonight
across parts of the central and southern outer waters. These winds
will continue on Thursday as the low centre enters southern
Explorer. East to southeast gales will also develop through
Juan de Fuca tonight and then Haro Strait Thursday afternoon.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: