West Coast Vancouver Island North
Issued 04:00 AM PST 18 January 2018
Today Tonight and Friday.
Storm warning in effect.
Wind southeast 40 to 50 knots except southeast 50 to 60 near the headlands this morning. Wind becoming southeast 35 to 45 this afternoon then diminishing to southeast 25 to 35 overnight. Wind becoming northwest 20 to 30 near noon Friday.
Rain. Risk of thunderstorms today.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
West Coast Vancouver Island NorthIssued 04:00 AM PST 18 January 2018
'Storm' force winds of 48 to 63 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 AM PST 18 January 2018 Today Tonight and Friday At 4:00 a.m. PST today low 970 mb located 150 miles southwest of
Cape St. James.
By 4:00 a.m. PST Friday weakening low 990 mb located 80 miles
south of Cape St. James.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:52 AM PST 18 January 2018 A strong low pressure system over Southern Bowie will move to lie
100 miles southwest of Cape St James this morning and remain
stationary today. The low will weaken and drift eastward across
Queen Charlotte Sound tonight and Friday.
Gale to storm force southeasterlies ahead of the low will ease
To strong to gale force near midday today. South of the low, storm
To hurricane force southwesterlies over Southern Explorer will ease
to gale force this afternoon. Meanwhile northwesterly gales will
prevail behind the low. On Friday strong to gale force
southeasterlies east of the low will shift to northwesterlies
Behind the low.
Seas 9 to 12 metres over the central waters and off Vancouver Island
will subside to 6 to 8 metres later today.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: