West Coast Vancouver Island North
Issued 09:30 PM PST 16 January 2018
Tonight and Wednesday.
Hurricane force wind warning in effect.
Wind southerly 25 to 35 knots except southeast 45 near the headlands. Wind becoming southeast 40 to 50 late this evening except southeast 60 near the headlands. Wind becoming southeast 50 to 60 late overnight except southeast 70 to 80 near the headlands. Wind becoming south 40 to 50 near noon Wednesday except south 60 near the headlands.
Rain. Visibility 1 mile or less in rain.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
West Coast Vancouver Island NorthIssued 9:30 PM PST 16 January 2018
'Hurricane' force winds of 64 knots or above are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM PST 16 January 2018 Tonight and Wednesday At 9:30 p.m. PST tonight intensifying frontal system located over
By 1:00 p.m. PST Wednesday departing frontal system located from
Hecate Strait to McInnes Island.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:26 PM PST 16 January 2018 A strong frontal system is rapidly developing and is currently over
Southern Explorer. Gale to storm force southeasterlies have
developed ahead of this frontal system. As the system moves
Towards Vancouver Island it will continue to intensify. By early
Wednesday morning storm to hurricane force southeasterlies are
expected at West Vancouver Island North and will extend into Queen
Charlotte Sound and the Central Coast.
In the wake of this intense system, gale to storm force
southwesterlies will persist over Explorer and into central
Waters through Wednesday afternoon.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: