West Coast Vancouver Island North
Issued 04:00 AM PDT 09 April 2020
Today Tonight and Friday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind variable 5 to 15 knots except northwest 15 to 20 south of the Brooks Peninsula. Wind becoming westerly 10 to 15 early this afternoon except northwest 25 south of the Brooks Peninsula. Wind becoming northwest 15 to 25 near midnight then increasing to northwest 25 to 35 Friday morning.
Showers this afternoon and tonight.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
West Coast Vancouver Island NorthIssued 04:00 AM PDT 09 April 2020
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM PDT 8 April 2020 Tonight and Thursday At 9:30 p.m. PDT tonight ridge located on a line northeast-southwest
over northern Vancouver Island.
By 4:00 p.m. PDT Thursday dissipating ridge located on a line
northeast-southwest over northern Vancouver Island.
At 9:30 p.m. PDT tonight weakening frontal system located on a
line northeast-southwest over Haida Gwaii.
By 2:00 p.m. PDT Thursday dissipating frontal system located on
a line northeast-southwest over Queen Charlotte Sound.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:42 AM PDT 9 April 2020 A quasi-stationary trough will develop along the mainland coast on
Friday. The trough combined with an offshore ridge will generate
widespread strong northwest winds over most waters except gale force
off the coast of West Vancouver Island. These winds will persist
until Saturday morning.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: