West Coast Vancouver Island North
Issued 04:00 PM PST 17 January 2018
Tonight and Thursday.
Storm warning in effect.
Wind southeast 40 to 50 knots except southeast 50 to 60 near the headlands late this afternoon and tonight. Wind becoming southeast 30 to 40 Thursday afternoon.
Rain. Risk of thunderstorms late this afternoon and this evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
West Coast Vancouver Island NorthIssued 4:00 PM PST 17 January 2018
'Storm' force winds of 48 to 63 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 PM PST 17 January 2018 Tonight and Thursday At 4:00 p.m. PST today intensifying low 966 mb located off Explorer.
By 4:00 a.m. PST Thursday quasi-stationary low 970 mb located over
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:40 PM PST 17 January 2018 A strong low pressure system will move over the offshore waters
tonight and remain stationary on Thursday. Gale to storm force
southeasterlies ahead of the low will continue tonight across most
waters and ease to strong to gale force near noon Thursday. South of
the low, storm to hurricane force southwesterlies over Southern
Explorer will ease to gale force Thursday afternoon.
In the wake of the low, the winds over Bowie will shift to gale force
northerlies on Thursday.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: