West Coast Vancouver Island North
Issued 10:30 AM PST 29 January 2020
Today Tonight and Thursday.
Hurricane force wind warning in effect.
Wind southwest 15 to 25 knots backing to southeast 20 to 30 this evening then increasing to southeast 30 to 40 late overnight. Wind increasing to southeast 45 to 55 Thursday morning except southeast 65 near the headlands. Wind diminishing to westerly 15 to 25 Thursday afternoon and to southwest 5 to 15 Thursday evening.
Rain Thursday. Visibility 1 mile or less in rain.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
West Coast Vancouver Island NorthIssued 10:30 AM PST 29 January 2020
'Hurricane' force winds of 64 knots or above are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 10:30 AM PST 29 January 2020 Today Tonight and Thursday At 4:00 p.m. PST today frontal system located west of the offshore
By 4:00 p.m. PST Thursday weakening frontal system located on a
line north-south over northern Vancouver Island.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 10:13 AM PST 29 January 2020 In the wake of a frontal system, gale to storm force southwesterlies
over northern and central waters will persist into this afternoon.
Another approaching frontal system will track across Haida Gwaii
Thursday morning and onto the mainland coast late in the afternoon.
Ahead of the front, gale to storm force southerlies will develop over
the offshore, northern and central waters tonight into Thursday
morning. As the front nears, a period of hurricane force can be
expected over the headlands of West Coast Vancouver Island North
beginning Thursday morning. Southeast gales will gradually spread to
the inner South Coast by Thursday afternoon.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: