Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
Issued 09:30 PM PST 17 January 2020
Tonight and Saturday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind east 25 to 35 knots becoming southeast 25 near noon Saturday.
Periods of snow or rain becoming rain this evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Strait of Georgia - south of NanaimoIssued 9:30 PM PST 17 January 2020
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM PST 17 January 2020 Tonight and Saturday At 9:30 p.m. PST tonight quasi-stationary ridge located over
northern BC interior.
At 9:30 p.m. PST tonight frontal system located over eastern
By 6:00 a.m. PST Saturday frontal system located from Haida Gwaii
to Vancouver Island.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:17 PM PST 17 January 2020 An Arctic ridge of high pressure will remain over the British
Columbia Interior through the weekend while weakening. Gale to storm
force northeasterly outflow winds through the coastal inlets will
weaken on Saturday over the South Coast and on Sunday over the
central and north coasts. Moderate to severe freezing spray will
continue near the central and northern coastal inlets tonight through
An intense frontal system will cross offshore waters tonight. Gale to
storm force southeasterlies from the system will affect all marine
regions tonight through Saturday. Hurricane force southeasterlies are
possible over sections of central waters tonight.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: