Queen Charlotte Strait
Issued 10:30 AM PST 17 January 2020
Today Tonight and Saturday.
Storm warning in effect.
Wind southeast 25 to 35 knots except northeasterly outflow 35 to 45 near the mainland inlets. Wind becoming southeast 45 to 60 early this evening then diminishing to southeast 35 to 45 early Saturday morning. Wind diminishing to south 20 to 30 late Saturday morning.
Flurries or showers changing to rain near midnight.
Temperatures zero rising to plus 8 Saturday evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Queen Charlotte StraitIssued 10:30 AM PST 17 January 2020
'Storm' force winds of 48 to 63 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 10:30 AM PST 17 January 2020 Today Tonight and Saturday At 10:30 a.m. PST today quasi-stationary ridge located over northern
At 10:30 a.m. PST today frontal system located west of Explorer.
By 7:00 p.m. PST tonight frontal system located over the offshore
By 6:00 a.m. PST Saturday frontal system located from Haida Gwaii
to Vancouver Island.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 10:29 AM PST 17 January 2020 An Arctic ridge of high pressure will remain over the British
Columbia Interior this week. Gale to storm force northeasterly
outflow winds will prevail through all coastal inlets. Moderate to
severe freezing spray will continue near the central and northern
coastal inlets today through Saturday.
An intense frontal system will cross offshore waters today. Gale to
storm force southeasterlies are expected to develop ahead of the
system and will affect all marine regions tonight. Hurricane force
southeasterlies are possible over sections of central waters tonight.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: