Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
Issued 10:30 AM PST 16 January 2018
Today Tonight and Wednesday.
Hurricane force wind warning in effect.
Wind southerly 20 to 30 knots becoming southeast 25 to 35 early this evening then increasing to southeast 35 to 45 late this evening. Wind increasing to southeast 45 to 55 near midnight and to southeast 55 to 65 late overnight. Wind diminishing to southeast 45 to 55 Wednesday morning.
Periods of rain. Risk of thunderstorms today.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Queen Charlotte Sound - western halfIssued 10:30 AM PST 16 January 2018
'Hurricane' force winds of 64 knots or above are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 10:30 AM PST 16 January 2018 Today Tonight and Wednesday At 7:00 p.m. PST tonight intensifying frontal system located west
By 10:00 a.m. PST Wednesday frontal system located on a line
northwest-southeast over northern Vancouver Island.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 10:21 AM PST 16 January 2018 A strong frontal system is developing and will be west of Explorer
early this evening. Gale to storm force southeasterlies will develop
ahead of this frontal system late this evening. As the system moves
towards Vancouver Island it will continue to intensify. By early
Wednesday morning storm to hurricane force southeasterlies are
expected at West Vancouver Island North and will extend into Queen
Charlotte Sound and the Central Coast.
In the wake of this intense system, gale to storm force
southwesterlies will persist over Explorer and into central
Waters through Wednesday afternoon.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: