Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
Issued 04:00 AM PST 16 January 2018
Today Tonight and Wednesday.
Wind southerly 10 to 20 knots backing to easterly 5 to 15 early this evening then increasing to easterly 15 to 25 near midnight. Wind becoming southwesterly 15 to 25 Wednesday afternoon.
Periods of rain.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
No watches or warnings in effect.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 AM PST 16 January 2018 Today Tonight and Wednesday At 4:00 a.m. PST today quasi-stationary ridge located over BC
At 7:00 p.m. PST tonight deepening frontal system located west
By 10:00 a.m. PST Wednesday frontal system located on a line
northwest-southeast over northern Vancouver Island.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:47 AM PST 16 January 2018 An Arctic ridge will weaken today, but will re-strengthen on
Wednesday producing strong to gale force outflow winds through the
A strong frontal system is developing and will be west of Explorer
early this evening. Gale to storm
Force southeasterlies will develop ahead of this frontal system late
this evening. As the system moves towards Vancouver Island it will
continue to intensify. By early Wednesday morning storm to hurricane
force southeasterlies are expected at West Vancouver Island North
And will extend into Queen Charlotte Sound.
In the wake of this intense system, gale to storm force
southwesterlies will persist over Explorer and into central
Waters through Wednesday afternoon.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: