Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
Issued 09:30 PM PDT 23 September 2023
Tonight and Sunday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind easterly 5 to 15 knots increasing to southeast 15 to 20 early Sunday morning and to southeast 20 to 25 near noon Sunday. Wind increasing to southeast 25 to 35 early Sunday evening.
Scattered showers ending Sunday morning. Rain Sunday late in the day. Visibility as low as 1 mile in rain.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Juan de Fuca Strait - west entranceIssued 9:30 PM PDT 23 September 2023
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM PDT 23 September 2023 Tonight and Sunday At 9:30 p.m. PDT tonight trough located west of Bowie.
By 4:00 a.m. PDT Sunday intensifying trough located over Bowie.
At 5:00 p.m. PDT Sunday intensifying frontal system located
southwest of Explorer.
By 11:00 p.m. PDT Sunday frontal system located off Vancouver
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:12 PM PDT 23 September 2023 A deep low pressure system is expected to spread gale to hurricane
force winds across the British Columbia waters Sunday through Monday.
Initially, a trough will bring southerly gale and storm force winds
to the central and northern waters on Sunday morning.
An intensifying frontal system will cross Explorer late Sunday,
spreading storm to local hurricane force southeasterly winds across
southern and central waters Sunday evening. Significant wave height
of 10 metres is expected for the northwestern half of Explorer Sunday
night into Monday morning.
Another intense frontal system is expected to follow the same path on
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
- Date modified: