Issued 09:30 PM PST 20 November 2018
Tonight and Wednesday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southeast 15 to 25 knots increasing to southeast 30 to 40 late overnight then diminishing to southeast 15 to 25 near noon Wednesday. Wind becoming southeast 15 early Wednesday evening.
Rain beginning after midnight.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Johnstone StraitIssued 9:30 PM PST 20 November 2018
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM PST 20 November 2018 Tonight and Wednesday At 9:30 p.m. PST tonight quasi-stationary frontal system located
from the Central Coast to Explorer.
At midnight PST tonight low located over southwestern Explorer.
By 1:00 p.m. PST Wednesday departing low located over southern
At 1:00 p.m. PST Wednesday building ridge located on a line
north-south over Vancouver Island.
By 4:00 a.m. PST Thursday ridge located over BC interior.
At 9:30 p.m. PST Wednesday approaching frontal system located west
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:47 PM PST 20 November 2018 A front stretching from the Central Coast to Explorer will
Remain there through the evening. Strong to gale force
southeasterlies will continue to be generated along the front.
The stalled front will re-intensify tonight as a low approaches
Vancouver Island from the south. The low will combine with the
stalled front and this combined system will move eastwards into the
inner South Coast Wednesday afternoon and into the British Columbia
Interior by Wednesday evening. Strong to gale force southeasterlies
will continue to be generated along the front through the entire
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: