Issued 09:30 PM PST 03 February 2023
Tonight and Saturday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southeast 15 to 25 knots increasing to southeast 25 to 35 late overnight then becoming southeast 30 to 40 near noon Saturday. Wind diminishing to southeast 20 to 30 Saturday evening.
Periods of rain.
Strong wind warning program has ended for the season.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Johnstone StraitIssued 9:30 PM PST 03 February 2023
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM PST 3 February 2023 Tonight and Saturday At 9:30 p.m. PST tonight dissipating frontal system located over
At 9:30 p.m. PST tonight departing trough located over Vancouver
At 9:30 p.m. PST tonight frontal system located off Explorer.
By 4:00 p.m. PST Saturday frontal system located over Haida Gwaii.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:45 AM PST 4 February 2023 A frontal system over Explorer will track eastward today and tonight,
producing widespread gales from Dixon east to Explorer. Winds will
strengthen further to storm force later this morning from Hecate
Strait to West Vancouver Island.
Northwesterly gales will spread from west to east in the wake of the
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: