Issued 10:30 AM PST 18 January 2018
Today Tonight and Friday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southeast 30 to 40 knots diminishing to southeast 15 to 25 Friday afternoon.
Showers. Risk of thunderstorms today.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Johnstone StraitIssued 10:30 AM PST 18 January 2018
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 10:30 AM PST 18 January 2018 Today Tonight and Friday At 10:30 a.m. PST today low 974 mb located 100 miles southwest of
Cape St. James.
By 4:00 a.m. PST Friday weakening low 989 mb located 80 miles
south of Cape St. James.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 10:21 AM PST 18 January 2018 A strong low pressure system 100 miles southwest of Cape St James
will continue its westward track to lie south of Cape St James
This afternoon while weakening 15 millibar. This evening it will
remain nearly stationary in queen charloote sound while
Only weakening slightly.
Gale to storm force southeasterlies ahead of the low will ease
To strong to gale force tonight. Northwesterly gales will prevail
behind the low affecting offshore only waters today, but will spread
to Bowie and Explorer tonight and Friday.
Seas which are 9 to 10 metres this morning over the central waters
and west of Vancouver Island will subside to 6 to 8 metres later
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: