Issued 04:00 AM PST 24 January 2020
Today Tonight and Saturday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southeast 15 to 25 knots increasing to southeast 25 to 35 near midnight then diminishing to southeast 15 to 25 Saturday morning.
Periods of rain.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Johnstone StraitIssued 04:00 AM PST 24 January 2020
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 AM PST 24 January 2020 Today Tonight and Saturday At 4:00 a.m. PST today trough located over Bowie.
By 1:00 p.m. PST today departing trough located on a line
north-south over Hecate Strait.
At 4:00 p.m. PST today low located west of the offshore waters.
By 10:30 a.m. PST Saturday departing low located north of Haida
At 9:30 p.m. PST tonight trough from low located on a line
northwest-southeast over Explorer.
By 4:00 a.m. PST Saturday trough from low located on a line
northwest-southeast over Queen Charlotte Sound.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:49 AM PST 24 January 2020 A trough of low pressure will move through the North Coast this
morning and depart the region this afternoon. The trough will
generate strong to gale force southerly winds over parts of the
central and northern coastal waters.
Another low pressure system will pass through the offshore waters
tonight then through the northern coastal waters on Saturday.
Gale force southerly winds will prevail ahead of the low affecting
northern waters, central waters, and marine regions adjacent to
Northern Vancouver Island. The winds will become strong to gale force
southwesterlies in the wake of the low.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: