Issued 09:30 PM PST 22 January 2020
Tonight and Thursday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southeast 15 to 25 knots increasing to southeast 25 to 35 late overnight then diminishing to southeast 10 to 20 near noon Thursday. Wind becoming variable 5 to 15 late Thursday afternoon.
Rain changing to showers Thursday evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Haro StraitIssued 9:30 PM PST 22 January 2020
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM PST 22 January 2020 Tonight and Thursday At 9:30 p.m. PST tonight frontal system located from Hecate Strait
to Vancouver Island.
By 4:00 a.m. PST Thursday dissipating frontal system located over
the Central Coast.
At 9:30 p.m. PST tonight cold front located on a line
northeast-southwest over southern Explorer.
By 10:30 a.m. PST Thursday weakening cold front located over
southern Vancouver Island.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:39 PM PST 22 January 2020 A frontal system located from Hecate Strait to Vancouver Island
Late this evening will continue moving eastwards tonight. The front
will dissipate over the Central Coast early Thursday morning. Gale to
storm force southeasterlies ahead of the front will shift to moderate
to strong southwest winds in its wake.
The trailing cold front lies over Southern Explorer late this evening
in a northeast to southwest orientation. The cold front will slide
southeastwards across Vancouver Island through Thursday and depart
the South Coast region late in the afternoon. Strong to gale force
southerlies will persist ahead of the front then ease to moderate
To strong southerlies in its wake.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: