Issued 04:00 PM PST 07 February 2023
Tonight and Wednesday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind west 25 to 35 knots diminishing to west 15 to 25 near midnight and to southwest 10 to 15 late overnight. Wind diminishing to light Wednesday morning then increasing to southeast 10 to 15 early Wednesday afternoon. Wind increasing to southeast 15 to 25 Wednesday evening.
Strong wind warning program has ended for the season.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Haro StraitIssued 4:00 PM PST 07 February 2023
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 PM PST 7 February 2023 Tonight and Wednesday At 4:00 p.m. PST today low 1002 mb located over northern Hecate
At 4:00 a.m. PST Wednesday frontal system located west of the
By 4:00 p.m. PST Wednesday frontal system located over Bowie.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:36 PM PST 7 February 2023 A 1002 millibar low will approach the mainland North Coast this
evening. Local storm force westerlies can be expected
South of the low. Gale force outflow can be expected near midday
Near Portland Inlet. Winds will ease to moderate to strong
Westerlies in the wake of the low tonight.
A new Pacific front will approach the coast on Wednesday. The front
will bring widespread gale to storm force southeasterlies to
Offshore waters on Wednesday morning and then to all northern and
central waters by Wednesday afternoon and Wednesday evening.
Hurricane force southeasterlies will develop over Northern Vancouver
Island late Wednesday evening.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: