Explorer - northwestern half
Issued 09:30 PM PST 11 December 2018
Tonight and Wednesday.
Storm warning in effect.
Wind northwest 30 to 40 knots backing to southwest 30 to 40 after midnight then increasing to southerly 45 to 55 early Wednesday morning. Wind veering to westerly 40 to 50 early Wednesday afternoon.
Showers changing to rain early Wednesday morning.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Explorer - northwestern halfIssued 9:30 PM PST 11 December 2018
'Storm' force winds of 48 to 63 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM PST 11 December 2018 Tonight and Wednesday At 9:30 p.m. PST tonight ridge located over the offshore waters.
By 4:00 a.m. PST Wednesday weakening ridge located on a line
north-south over northern Vancouver Island.
At 7:00 a.m. PST Wednesday frontal system located over Bowie.
By 9:30 p.m. PST Wednesday departing frontal system located over
southern Vancouver Island.
At 4:00 a.m. PST Wednesday low 970 mb located west of Bowie.
By 9:30 p.m. PST Wednesday quasi-stationary low 970 mb located
north of Bowie.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:21 PM PST 11 December 2018 A ridge of high pressure over the offshore waters will weaken
Through the night as it quickly approaches the BC coast by Wednesday
morning. Widespread gale force westerly winds will continue across
most marine regions ahead of the ridge then ease to generally strong
westerly winds later tonight.
The next frontal wave moves over the offshore waters on Wednesday
morning and will track east through the South Coast by evening.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: