Issued 10:00 AM NST 19 December 2014
Today Tonight and Saturday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southwest 25 to 35 knots becoming southwest 25 this afternoon then diminishing to southwest 15 this evening. Wind increasing to north 20 late overnight then veering to northeast 25 Saturday morning.
A few showers ending late overnight.
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 18 December 2014 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeFirst ice edge estimated from northern peninsula near 5020N 5625W to 5025N 5555W to 5140N 5520W to 5140N 5550W to 5120N 5650W to northern peninsula near 5100N 5705W. Sea ice south of the ice edge. Second ice edge estimated from Labrador near 5215N 5540W to 5310N 5430W to 5635N 6005W to 5810N 6115W to 5825N 6100W then northeastward. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 18 December 2014
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 19 Dec estimated from the Labrador coast near 5330N 5605W to 5330N 5230W to 5600N 5230W to 6000N 5600W.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
South CoastIssued 10:00 AM NST 19 December 2014
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 10:00 AM NST 19 December 2014 Today Tonight and Saturday At 10:00 a.m. NST today low 988 mb located over northeastern
By 3:00 a.m. NST Saturday departing low 980 mb located southeast
At 3:00 a.m. NST Saturday trough from low located on a line
northeast-southwest over Funk Island Bank.
At 10:00 a.m. NST today building ridge located over Ontario.
By 3:00 a.m. NST Saturday building ridge located over Quebec.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:51 AM NST 19 December 2014 A low pressure system over Northeastern Newfoundland will track
rapidly northeastwards to lie southeast of Greenland tonight. Strong
to gale force southwesterlies south of the low will shift to strong
to gale force northerlies in its wake.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for all
waters except Southwest Coast - west of Ramea, Northern Grand Banks
and Southwestern Grand Banks.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - northern half
- Anticosti - southern half
- Banquereau - northern half
- Banquereau - southern half
- Belle Isle Bank
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait
- Chaleur - Miscou
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast
- Funk Island Bank
- Gulf - Magdalen - northern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - northwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - southeastern half
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Northeast Coast - Cape St. John and south
- Northeast Coast - north of Cape St. John
- Northeast Gulf - northwestern half
- Northeast Gulf - southeastern half
- Northern Grand Banks
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast - Ramea and east
- Southwest Coast - west of Ramea
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast - northern half
- South Labrador Coast - southern half
- South Labrador Sea
- Strait of Belle Isle
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: