Northeast Coast - Cape St. John and south
Issued 03:30 PM NST 18 December 2014
Tonight and Friday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southeast 20 knots backing to northeast 20 Friday morning then increasing to north 40 near noon Friday except southwest 30 over southern sections Friday afternoon.
Rain and snow beginning late this afternoon. Fog patches forming this evening and dissipating Friday afternoon. Visibility 1 mile or less in precipitation and in fog patches.
Temperatures minus 2 to plus 2.
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 18 December 2014 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeFirst ice edge estimated from northern peninsula near 5020N 5625W to 5025N 5555W to 5140N 5520W to 5140N 5550W to 5120N 5650W to northern peninsula near 5100N 5705W. Sea ice south of the ice edge. Second ice edge estimated from Labrador near 5215N 5540W to 5310N 5430W to 5635N 6005W to 5810N 6115W to 5825N 6100W then northeastward. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 18 December 2014
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 19 Dec estimated from the Labrador coast near 5330N 5605W to 5330N 5230W to 5600N 5230W to 6000N 5600W.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
Northeast CoastIssued 3:30 PM NST 18 December 2014
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 3:30 PM NST 18 December 2014 Tonight and Friday At 3:30 p.m. NST today low 992 mb located near Prince Edward Island.
By 3:30 p.m. NST Friday low 989 mb located over Belle Isle Bank.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:14 PM NST 18 December 2014 A low pressure system near Prince Edward Island will track
northeastward across Eastern Newfoundland on Friday morning. Strong
to gale force southeasterlies ahead of this system will shift to
strong to gale force southwesterlies south of the low and to strong
to gale force northerlies in its wake.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for all
waters except the Northeast Gulf, Gulf-Port au Port, the Northern
Grand Banks, and the Southeastern Grand Banks.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - northern half
- Anticosti - southern half
- Banquereau - eastern half
- Banquereau - western half
- Belle Isle Bank
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait
- Chaleur - Miscou
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast
- Funk Island Bank
- Gulf - Magdalen - northern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - northwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - southeastern half
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan - eastern half
- Laurentian Fan - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Northeast Coast - Cape St. John and south
- Northeast Coast - north of Cape St. John
- Northeast Gulf - northwestern half
- Northeast Gulf - southeastern half
- Northern Grand Banks
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast - northern half
- South Labrador Coast - southern half
- South Labrador Sea
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: