East Labrador Sea - southern half
Issued 04:00 AM NST 18 December 2014
Today Tonight and Friday
Wind west 30 knots diminishing to northwest 15 to 20 late overnight then veering to north 25 Friday evening.
Flurries. Visibility 1 mile or less in flurries.
Temperatures minus 2 to plus 1.
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 17 December 2014 Today Tonight and Thursday
Ice EdgeFirst ice edge estimated from northern peninsula near 5020N 5625W to 5025N 5555W to 5140N 5520W to 5140N 5550W to 5120N 5650W to northern peninsula near 5100N 5705W. Sea ice south of the ice edge. Second ice edge estimated from Labrador near 5215N 5540W to 5310N 5430W to 5635N 6015W to 5850N 6120W then northeastward. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 17 December 2014
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 18 Dec estimated from the Labrador coast near 5330N 5605W to 5345N 5245W to 5600N 5245W to 6000N 5600W.
Iceberg CountForecasts available to mariners upon request.
No watches or warnings in effect.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 AM NST 18 December 2014 Today Tonight and Friday At 4:00 a.m. NST today quasi-stationary ridge located on a line
east-west over the South Labrador Coast.
At 4:00 a.m. NST today low located over Davis Strait.
By 4:00 a.m. NST Friday departing low located east of Greenland.
At 4:00 a.m. NST today low 996 mb located over southwestern
By 4:00 a.m. NST Friday low 994 mb located near Prince Edward
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:27 PM NST 17 December 2014 A ridge of high pressure over Labrador will remain nearly stationary
and gradually weaken tonight and Thursday. Meanwhile, a low pressure
system will track eastward north of the marine district. Between
these two features, strong to gale force northwesterlies will persist
over the Labrador Sea throughout the forecast period.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for the
North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek, Northwest Labrador Sea -
northern half and East Labrador Sea - northern half.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for the Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale, North Labrador
Coast, Northwest Labrador Sea and the East Labrador Sea - northern
Atlantic - Labrador Area
- Belle Isle Bank
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Labrador Sea - northern half
- East Labrador Sea - southern half
- Funk Island Bank
- Lake Melville
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale
- Northeast Coast - Cape St. John and south
- Northeast Coast - north of Cape St. John
- Northwest Labrador Sea - northern half
- Northwest Labrador Sea - southern half
- North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek
- North Labrador Coast - Saglek and south
- Resolution - eastern half
- South Labrador Coast - northern half
- South Labrador Coast - southern half
- South Labrador Sea
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Ungava - eastern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: