Issued 04:00 PM PDT 22 March 2017
Tonight and Thursday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southwest 25 to 35 knots diminishing to southwest 10 to 15 this evening and to light near midnight. Wind increasing to southeast 15 to 20 Thursday morning and to southeast 20 to 30 Thursday afternoon.
A few showers.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Haro StraitIssued 4:00 PM PDT 22 March 2017
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 PM PDT 22 March 2017 Tonight and Thursday By 4:00 p.m. PDT today departing trough located over the South
At 8:00 a.m. PDT Thursday cold front located off Explorer.
By 9:30 p.m. PDT Thursday cold front located on a line north-south
over eastern Queen Charlotte Sound.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:41 PM PDT 22 March 2017 A trough of low pressure over Southern Vancouver Island will cross
the South Coast early this evening. In its wake, westerly gales will
develop over the strait of Juan de Fuca and diminish later this
The next cold front will track across Explorer Thursday morning and
lie north-south over Eastern Queen Charlotte Sound by the evening.
Ahead of the front, gale force southeasterlies will develop over
Explorer Thursday morning and spread to central waters near noon.
Winds will increase to storm force southeasterlies in the afternoon
over West Vancouver Island North as the front approaches.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: