Alerts for: Okotoks - High River - Claresholm
11:30 PM MDT Thursday 16 August 2018
Special air quality statement in effect for:
- M.D. of Foothills near Cayley
- M.D. of Foothills near High River and Aldersyde
- M.D. of Foothills near Longview and Eden Valley Res.
- M.D. of Foothills near Okotoks and De Winton
- M.D. of Foothills near Priddis and Brown-Lowery Prov. Park
- M.D. of Foothills near Turner Valley and Black Diamond
- M.D. of Willow Creek near Claresholm and Stavely
- M.D. of Willow Creek near Nanton and Parkland
- Rocky View Co. near Bragg Creek and Tsuu T'ina Res.
Smoke from forest fires in British Columbia continues to stream into most of Alberta resulting in locally poor air quality and reducing visibility.
During a wildfire, smoke conditions can change quickly over short distances and can vary considerably hour-by-hour. Air quality is expected to be intermittently poor for the remainder of the week.
Individuals may experience symptoms such as increased coughing, throat irritation, headaches or shortness of breath. Children, seniors, and those with cardiovascular or lung disease, such as asthma, are especially at risk.
People with lung diseases, such as asthma and COPD, can be particularly sensitive to air pollution. They will generally experience more serious health effects at lower levels. Pollution can aggravate their diseases, leading to increased medication use, doctor and emergency room visits, and hospital visits.
Stay inside if you have breathing difficulties. Find an indoor place that's cool and ventilated. Using an air conditioner that cools and filters air may help. If you open the windows you may let in more polluted air. If your home isn't air-conditioned, consider going to a public place (library, shopping mall, recreation centre) that is air-conditioned.
Visit www.airhealth.ca for information on how to reduce your health risk and your personal contribution to pollution levels, as well as for current and forecast AQHI values.
Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada.
Issued by Environment Canada, Alberta Environment and Parks and Alberta Health
What we are doing
- Date modified: