Alerts for: Fort Saskatchewan - Vegreville - Redwater - Smoky Lake
9:32 PM MST Monday 17 February 2020
Extreme Cold Warning in effect for:
- Co. of Minburn near Vegreville Inland and Warwick
- Co. of Two Hills near Willingdon and Hairy Hill
- Elk Island Nat. Park
- Fort Saskatchewan and Nrn Strathcona Co.
- Lamont Co. near Andrew and Wostok
- Lamont Co. near Bruderheim Lamont and Peno Creek
- Lamont Co. near Mundare Chipman and Ukrainian Village
- Smoky Lake Co. near Smoky Lake and Waskatenau
- Sturgeon Co. near Bon Accord Gibbons and Namao
- Sturgeon Co. near Redwater
- Thorhild Co. near Thorhild Opal and Radway
Windchill values near -40 are forecast for tonight.
This is not expected to be a long-lasting event as temperatures begin to improve tomorrow.
While areas near Edmonton city centre may not quite reach windchill values of -40, much of the surrounding and outlying areas are expected to.
Watch for cold related symptoms: shortness of breath, chest pain, muscle pain and weakness, numbness and colour change in fingers and toes.
Cover up. Frostbite can develop within minutes on exposed skin, especially with wind chill.
If it's too cold for you to stay outside, it's too cold for your pet to stay outside.
Outdoor workers should take regularly scheduled breaks to warm up.
Extreme cold warnings are issued when very cold temperatures or wind chill creates an elevated risk to health such as frost bite and hypothermia.
Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to ABstorm@canada.ca or tweet reports using #ABStorm.
What we are doing
- Date modified: