South Labrador Coast - northern half
Issued 09:30 AM NST 18 January 2018
Today Tonight and Friday.
Wind southwest 10 to 15 knots backing to southeast 10 to 15 this afternoon then becoming variable 15 near midnight. Wind increasing to northwest 25 Friday morning.
Flurries beginning this afternoon and ending Friday morning. Visibility 1 mile or less in flurries.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Over open water freezing spray beginning Friday morning.
Temperatures minus 20 to minus 12 rising to minus 10 to minus 2 this afternoon then falling to minus 20 to minus 12 Friday evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 18 January 2018 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeFirst ice edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4835N 5325W to
Newfoundland near 4900N 5340W. Sea ice west of the ice edge.
Second ice edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4925N 5420W to
4945N 5430W to 4940N 5450W to Newfoundland near 4930N 5510W. Sea ice
south of the ice edge.
Third ice edge estimated from Newfoundland near 5040N 5610W to 5105N
5245W to 5455N 5250W to 5610N 5605W to 5800N 5720W then northwards.
Sea ice west of the ice edge.
9 plus tenths of grey ice including 2 tenths of grey-white ice
except 9 plus tenths of grey-white ice in the northeastern section.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 17 January 2018
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 18 Jan estimated from the Labrador coast
near 5400N 5718W to 5400N 5230W to 5700N 5300W then eastwards.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs except less than 10 icebergs north of the
Warnings (In effect)
South Labrador CoastIssued 09:30 AM NST 18 January 2018
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 AM NST 18 January 2018 Today Tonight and Friday At 9:30 a.m. NST today deepening low 1002 mb located south of
By 4:00 a.m. NST Friday low 988 mb located east of Belle Isle Bank.
At 9:30 a.m. NST today low 998 mb located over northern Quebec.
By 4:00 a.m. NST Friday trough located on a line northwest-southeast
over Labrador Sea.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:14 AM NST 18 January 2018 Marine interests are advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for all open waters except East Labrador Sea.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - eastern half
- Anticosti - western half
- Belle Isle Bank
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank
- Gulf - Magdalen - eastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - western half
- Gulf - Port au Port - northwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - southeastern half
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Northeast Coast
- Northeast Gulf - northwestern half
- Northeast Gulf - southeastern half
- Northern Grand Banks
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast - northern half
- South Labrador Coast - southern half
- South Labrador Sea
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: