Alerts for: Salluit
4:53 AM EST Friday 30 January 2015
Extreme Cold Warning in effect for:
A period of very cold wind chills is expected.
An extremely cold air mass and moderate to strong winds are giving extreme wind chill values reaching -55 in this area of Nunavik this morning.
Watch for cold related symptoms and complaints which include:
- Respiratory: shortness of breath, wheezing and cough
- Cardiovascular: chest pain and arrhythmias
- Circulation: colour change of finger and toes, pain, numbness and tickling sensation in extremities
- Muscle: pain, stiffness, swelling, restricted movement, weakness
- Skin: itching, pale.
If you experience these symptoms when exposed to the cold, move indoors and begin warming.
Wear appropriate clothing.
- Always wear clothing appropriate for the weather. Synthetic and wool fabrics provide better insulation. Some synthetic fabrics are designed to keep perspiration away from your body which keep you dry and further reduce your risk.
- Dress in layers with a wind resistant outer layer. You can remove layers if you get too warm (before you start sweating) or add a layer if you get cold.
- Wear warm socks, gloves, a hat and scarf in cold weather. Be sure to cover your nose to protect it.
- If you get wet, change into dry clothing as soon as possible. You lose heat faster when you're wet.
Extreme cold warnings are issued when very cold temperatures or wind chill creates an elevated risk to health such as frost bite and hypothermia.
Environment Canada meteorologists will update alerts as required. Please continue to monitor your local media or Weatheradio for further updates. If you would like to report severe weather, you can call 1-800-361-0233 or send an email to email@example.com. You may also tweet reports of severe weather to #meteoqc.
What we are doing
- Date modified: